The masterpiece Apple offers us – the iWatch – is a great example of how the company managed to fit the whole world into an even smaller device than the legendary iPhone. There are more than ten thousand apps for iWatch already and hundreds more are expected to arrive within the next few months, which will definitely give us something to do while we wait for the release of Apple Watch 2.
As Londoners in one of the busiest cities in the world, we are often trapped in a world where duties overwhelm our daily lives and free time is considered a luxury. There are many ways, however, to simplify our tasks and optimise our time, and one of these methods is to use Apple Watch apps. If you are looking for apps for transportation, directions, places, health, news, or even home services, here are some of the most common, yet incredibly useful London iWatch apps:
For those who often get lost or just want to get from point A to point B as fast as they can, this is your app. With this gem here you can map your swiftest route to a location, as well as track bus and tube times. If you are a fan of walking on foot or travelling by bike, the app displays a time estimate of arrival to your destination and how many calories you are going to burn on the way.
Thirsty? Hungry? What’s the best place to order a beer and a pizza around town?
Yelp is the answer to your questions. It is your local guide that helps you find the best places to eat, drink, shop, relax, or have fun. With the app on your Apple wristwatch, you can:
- Discover the finest local businesses: restaurants, shops, services;
- Filter search results by neighborhood, distance, rating, price, and what’s open now;
- Read millions of customer reviews;
- Find the best deals around.
Download on iTunes
Now when you have decided where and what to eat, it’s time to make a reservation. With OpenTable, you can do this online. Some app perks include:
- Reserve a table with ease, on the instant, and free at thousands of restaurants;
- You can also discover and research restaurant reviews, photos, menus, and more;
- Search by preference: party size, date, time, cuisine, price, or distance;
- You are awarded with points when you dine out and savings on future meals;
- Mobile only benefits;
- You can pay via Apple Pay.
Just Eat (Free)
On the other hand, if you feel tired or just don’t feel like going out today, with this app you can order food right at your doorstep. Just Eat has access to more than 20,000 delivery and collection restaurants. Features:
- Quick and easy ordering;
- Find local takeaways by postcode;
- Choose cuisine type;
- Access to thousands of menus;
- Order status notifications;
- Save favourites for easy access;
- Pay by credit card or cash upon delivery.
British Airways (Free)
Are you looking for flight information? Well, guess what! With this app you can easily track key data about your flights:
- Flight number;
- Plane course;
- Departure time and countdown;;
- On time status;
- Weather conditions.
If you plan a vacation away from home, then this app is your best friend. Discover the finest places to eat, sleep, play, or party around the World. You can also find reviews of these destinations and images sent by those who were there before you.
Type in your address (or where you are in this moment) and the “Near Me Now” option will display places of interest around your current location. Discover the best hotels, restaurants, forums, concerts, and things to do from your wrist.
If you are more of an adventurer who doesn’t fancy expensive hotels and prefers a more domestic atmosphere, this is the travel planning app you are looking for. Find a place to stay or earn some extra money from your free space at home.
- Choose from over 600 000 listings in over 30 000 cities around the world;
- Access your itinerary, message your host, and get directions to your listing;
- Explore properties, vacation homes, and apartments;
- Add them to your Wish List to share with your friends.
- Manage your listing and connect with guests;
- Accept, decline, pre-approve, and send special offers to guests;
- Update your calendar availability.
Download on iTunes
The Dojo app helps you find the best places to eat, drink, and visit in London. With it, you can explore both famous and underground nightlife events to everybody’s taste. Whether you’re looking for cocktail bars, concerts, or art exhibitions, this is the app you should consult first.
BBC News (Free)
Stay up-to-date with news from all over the world at all times. And BBC News brings us all of this for free!
The app is very easy to use. All stories are divided by category (sports, politics, tech, and so on). The BBC news app also offers:
- Breaking News section;
- Latest news and top stories;
- Features and analysis;
- Preferences – you can set and follow the news you’re interested in.
National Rail Enquiries (Free)
You will never miss a train again with this one. With this app, you can track train times, find cheap tickets, as well as receive train line information and promotions. With the iWatch, you can also:
- Track real-time train info;
- Save favourite journeys;
- Select a station and view its departures;
- Get notifications on train delays.
London Tube Tracker (£2.29)
This is the number one London underground app. With it you can:
- View departure boards live;
- Use a live tube map;
- Be updated on current & future line statuses;
- See first and last trains for your travels;
- Get alerts when line statuses change and more.
Download on iTunes
UK Bus Checker (£3.99)
Since we have covered most of the transportation apps, it is time to mention UK’s number one bus travel app. This software shows live bus times, as well as plans your journey and route maps for every stop in London and the UK. The main features are:
- Scheduled and live arrival/departure bus times for every stop;
- Real-time GPS map of the nearest bus stops;
- Alerts when you arrive at your stop;
- Save your favourite locations for easy access.
Need a fast ride? No problem! With Uber, you can find a private driver in a matter of seconds. You just need to follow these 3 steps: set pickup location, final destination, select a car, and a driver. You can track the current location of your ride as it comes to pick you up.
Tip: You can use fare quotes to learn the price estimate of your journey.
Cycle Hire London (£0.79)
For those who prefer to travel by bike or simply enjoy a nice ride in the park, this is your app. With Cycle Hire London, you have a London map that shows all available bicycles and spaces. The software displays available docking stations in an area by postcode. You can also:
- Set favourites for easy access;
- Mark your favourite docking stations and view their status in a widget on your Today screen;
- See the best route to your destination with optimised bicycle directions;
- A reminder to indicate that your hire period is over;
- Save logs of recent journeys and charges.
Dark Sky (£2.99)
This is not an ordinary weather app. In fact, it is perfect for Londoners. Being citizens of a town as rainy as London, we must carry an umbrella at all times. Dark Sky app shows us exactly when it will rain or snow. How does it work?
- The app uses GPS to create forecasts for your location;
- You can see minute-by-minute and hour-by-hour predictions on a daily or weekly basis;
- The app alerts you when rain or storms are expected to occur.
Todoist (Free / Premium)
Let’s be honest – you probably have many places to visit and just as many things to do (yeah, you are a Londoner after all). Why bother getting confused in trying to remember so many stuff at once when you can have everything written down and available at all times… from your wrist?
That’s right, this is one of the best schedule/tasks apps you can find for Apple Watch on the app store. Let us take a glance at Todoist’s features:
- You can dictate tasks, due dates, and recurring due dates with quick-add;
- Set up categories for easier navigation;
- Notifications and reminders to complete tasks in time.
With this app, you can book domestic services for your home, office, or garden directly via your Apple Watch. Say you need to clean your house, but you are too exhausted from what has been a terrible week at work and you need to rest. Here’s how it works – just select your desired service and set the date you want the cleaners to pay you a visit. Simple as that.
FitStar Personal Trainer (Free / Premium)
Never miss a chance to do a little workout when you have some minutes to spare. With FitStar, you can do some light or heavy exercises anywhere, anytime. You can also get a Premium personalised program for losing weight or gaining strength.
Runtastic (Free / Premium)
Perhaps the most famous of all sports and fitness activities tracking apps. With Runtastic, you can keep track of time, distance, pace, elevation change, calories, and more while running, walking, or cycling. All activities will be logged, so you can view daily or weekly statistics later. Just make sure you check the weather before you go out.
Download on iTunes
Sleep++ (Free / Premium)
One of the best ways to defeat stress is to have a good night’s sleep. With this app, you can measure the duration and quality of your sleep by using the motion tracking capabilities of the iWatch. You can later view your sleep data on your iPhone.
Tip: Don’t forget to put your shiny wrist watch in “Airplane Mode” to preserve battery life.
Twitter is one of the most popular social medias in the world. And it is available for Apple Watch, too. Tweet, retweet, reply, and favourite in an instant. To compose a tweet, you don’t need to do anything but press the “mic” button and speak. Here’s what else can you do with the app:
- See recent tweets and top trends;
- Share the song you are listening to right now at your current location;
- Follow people back and say “hi”.
Tip: To use a hashtag in your tweets, just say “hashtag”.
Shazam (Free / Premium)
Remember that time when you were at the local pub and you heard that awesome rock and roll song? But did you figure out which band performed it? Well worry no more, because next time you catch it on the radio, you will be prepared.
With Shazam on your iWatch, all you have to do to identify a song is to go near the speakers and press “Search”. Wait a few seconds and there you go! “Train in vain” by “The Clash”. You can even see the lyrics within the app. Brilliant!
The Apple Watch is probably the easiest way to buy something from Amazon. You simply press the “search” button on your screen and use the voice interface screen. Say what you are looking for and a list of top 5 results will pop up in a second. When you tap on a result, it will display additional information, such as:
- Product name;
- Star rating;
- Seller name.
This app lets sellers and buyers track the status of their items. From eBay’s home screen, you can access four simple categories: Activity, Watching, Buying and Selling. From the “Activity” section you can receive updates and alerts on auctions ending soon, items you’ve been outbid on, or items that are shipping soon. The other 3 options are pretty straightforward.
Soccer Scores Pro (Free / Premium)
A must-have app for all the football fans out there. Never miss a score with Soccer Scores Pro on your wrist. The app features enable you to follow more than a hundred leagues around the globe, including UK, German, Spanish, French, and many more. Other perks include:
- Live scores;
- Match facts;
- News feeds;
- Track your favourite teams.
Tinder (Free / Premium)
Tinder is a fun way to meet new and interesting people around you. The app suggests matches to your personality and lets you “like” or “pass” them. You can chat with the people you like and who knows, you might find your next big love.
The apps listed here serve the purpose of giving you a quick overview of what you can look for and try out. All screenshots are taken from the respective app’s iTunes page.
What about you? Have you discovered any interesting Apple Watch apps for Londoners? Share your experience with the wrist device so far.