- Fantastic Team
- 8min read
- Published: July 23, 2019
- Views: 256
What Is the Difference Between Deep Cleaning and Regular Cleaning Services?
What a silly question, some might say. Who? The fortunate and the privileged…? Or those who are “well-versed” in having their house cleaned by someone else?
Well, if once having a cleaner or a maid was somewhat a thing, reserved for the middle classes, this has changed now. More and more people value their free time these days and choose to entrust their house chores to cleaning companies or self-employed cleaners, even if the expense is felt at the end of the month.
Be it one-time deep cleaning help during the spring and before or after a special event, or regular cleaning assistance – busy families, young working millennials and folks from all walks of life get to a point when they’d rather pay for their precious time and spend it on what they love doing.
But back to the point.
We’ve had many enquiries about the difference between one-off deep cleaning and regular cleaning, as clients (first-timers or not so “well-versed” in having their house cleaned by someone else) sometimes get confused as to what to expect for their hard-earned cash.
So, to set the record straight, clear up misconceptions and appease somewhat unhappy clients whose over-expectations regarding the work of their maid may turn into complaints, we’ll look into everything that sets a thorough one-time clean and regular housekeeping apart.
What is a deep clean?
The clue is in the word ‘deep’, as you can guess.
Deep cleaning of an entire property is rarely done on a regular basis, even by the most fastidious cleaning fanatic, be it a homeowner or a renter. Hence, in the industry, the service is also referred to as one-off deep cleaning. This means that it is ordered just the once and no follow-up assistance is expected by the client. And exactly because the service is purchased as a one-off solution, the buyer can count on their place to be cleaned thoroughly and with strong attention to detail in mind.
What is included in a deep house clean?
Let’s clear one thing, first.
A one-off cleaning service is charged commonly per hour (in the same way regular cleaning is billed). So, what a cleaner will manage to deep clean around your home will largely depend on the amount of time you’ve booked for the service. The more time you allocate for the pro to sanitise your property, the more detailed would be the cleaning.
In general, apart from the unquestionable vacuuming, cobweb removal, mopping and dusting that any house cleaning process involves, you can request various other tasks to be completed in much more detail. Or in other words, areas, features and fixtures that one would normally skip when tidying their home on a weekly basis, can be addressed and deep cleaned, upon request.
Let’s look at an example of what extra you can have scrubbed, polished and washed as part of your one-off deep cleaning service:
- Furniture. You can request for furniture to be polished on the inside, as well, including wardrobe shelves, kitchen cupboards, storage units, etc.
- Fixtures.From door knobs and handles, light switches, sockets and light fixtures to curtain poles, skirting boards and trim work, the cleaner can wipe clean those for you.
- Windows. The glass panel on the inside, the frames and sills can be washed sparkling clean, if that’s what your home needs. If applicable, your blinds can be dusted, as well.
- Surfaces. This can include the deep cleaning of tiled surfaces, be it your bathroom walls or the splashback in the kitchen. Mirrors, picture frames, bannisters, etc. can be polished by the pro, too.
- Appliances. Your fridge, microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, cooker, toaster, coffee machine and kettle can be sanitised to a shiny finish.
- Bathroom and kitchen. In these frequently used rooms, you can have all chrome/metal fixtures, accessories and surfaces, which would normally get a quick wipe, deep cleaned, descaled and polished.
- Hard-to-reach places.The top of wardrobes and bookcases, under and behind furniture and kitchen appliances – these spots are hardly ever addressed during your daily/weekly vacuuming around the house.
- Additional rooms. Studies, guest rooms, conservatories, balconies often can’t be properly cleaned by a regular maid who is hired to tidy up a property within about 2-3 hours.
Here, we should mention that a one-off deep cleaning service is not a great fit for when you want cleaning help to get your deposit back at the end of a tenancy agreement.
Read on to find out why.
How end of tenancy cleaning differs from one-time deep cleaning
For a start, an end of lease cleaning service is designed to make a rental property in a rentable state. And don’t confuse the above with the regular cleaning of short lets, such as Airbnb properties.
The service can be purchased by the tenant who’s got a security deposit at stake or by the landlord who will deduct from the tenant’s deposit, in order to have their property cleaned to a high standard.
Here are some major differences between the two deep cleaning service options:
- The service is not limited by time. Unlike the one-off hourly service, the move-out cleaning service is more often than not charged per job. So, it doesn’t matter how long it takes the cleaners to turn the property again into rentable accommodation.
- The pros follow an agency-approved cleaning checklist. There are industry-agreed standards as to how properties for rent should look in terms of cleanliness, whereas a private homeowner may choose what they want specifically addressed and what not to be touched and cleaned for whatever reason.
- The end of lease cleaners often work in teams. If a one-off cleaner can do so much in the hours that they have been hired for, an end of lease cleaning job is best done by more than one cleaner if the service is not limited by time and the pros cannot leave until the property looks perfect, according to the checklist.
- They are expected to bring professional equipment and detergents. A vacated property will not necessarily have all the cleaning tools and supplies needed for the job and those are always included in the cost of the service. A one-off cleaner may use the client’s detergents, mop and vacuum cleaner unless arranged otherwise.
- The end of lease cleaning service comes with a guarantee. When there’s a monetary interest involved, outside the actual expense of the service, a comprehensive guarantee, offered by the service provider, is a must.
What is regular cleaning?
Here, the name doesn’t say it all.
Yep, a cleaner comes to your home on a regular basis for a few hours, be it once a week, fortnightly or once every month, but the differences between regular cleaning and deep cleaning don’t stop here.
What is a regular house clean all about?
The main difference between housekeeping and a deep cleaning service is that the maid or cleaner can do so much in the hours that they have been booked for. They shouldn’t be asked to meticulously scrub the tiles and grout in the bathroom, for instance, while there are still vacuuming, mopping and dusting waiting to be done. The pro usually follows the client’s instructions and a priority task list, which can be changed at times by the client. For example, the customer may ask for their interior windows to be cleaned once a month, while in the rest of the weekly visits, only the window sills to be wiped clean.
In addition, apart from the common housekeeping tasks like vacuuming of floors and upholstered furniture, dusting of surfaces, mopping and tidying up the kitchen and bathroom, the maid (who is always the same one, every time) can be assigned to do the following:
- Change the bedding;
- Do the dishes;
- Laundry, ironing, folding up clothes;
- Nip to the dry cleaners (if in close proximity);
- Water house plants;
- Put away scattered toys;
- Empty the bins;
- General tidying (ex: put magazines away);
- Vacuum/sweep the patio;
- Feed the cat.
So, to sum up, a regular cleaner is usually responsible for doing the light housework in a said household, where tasks can be different, according to the client’s cleaning needs. Often, there’s a trusty relationship, gradually built between the helper and the homeowner to the extent that the maid/cleaner is treated as if they’re part of the family, believe it or not.
What regular cleaners do not do
Right, then, there are, of course, some limits as to what you can expect from your regular cleaner.
No, don’t frown!
It’s simply bad taste, if not outright illegal, to ask your maid to mind your toddler, while you pop to the hairdresser’s. The same goes for hoping that the cleaner can look after your ailing dad (just for a bit, in your mind), who has just moved in with you.
Also, don’t ask the maid to cook meals or prepare food, move and lift heavy items, furniture, boxes, etc. The cleaner has no business in your garden, either, unless you’ve asked them to quickly wipe the garden table and chairs.
We hope that now you’ve got a clearer picture of the difference between regular cleaning and deep cleaning services. Here are some final thoughts on the matter:
- Booking a one-off deep cleaning service will help you enjoy a home that has been scrubbed and sanitised in detail as an end result.
- You’ve got the option to prioritise what needs doing when you hire a professional one-off cleaner.
- Renters and landlords should resort to end of tenancy cleaning solutions when in need of specialist cleaning assistance at the end of their mutual property rental agreement.
- It’s simply wrong to ask your regular cleaner to remove stains from your carpet, scrub your greasy oven, wash your windows on the outside, etc. Book specialised cleaning services, instead.
- Respect the limitations of your maid’s expertise rather than ending up with expectations, which are not quite met.
Need a Professional Cleaner?
Let the cleaning experts take care of your home!
Did you find this post helpful? Then, why not share it with your friends? Or would you like to share any cleaning service experiences you might have in the comment box below!
Image source: Shutterstock / FotoDuets
- Last update: February 14, 2020
Posted in Cleaning Guides
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.