- Fantastic Team
- 4min read
- Published: November 11, 2019
- Views: 644
How Often Should You Clean Your Oven
Cleaning the oven is no easy task and probably not one that you’re looking forward to. However, a pristine cooker is important not only to the quality of your food but to your health, too. Unfortunately, many of us don’t know how often they need to give their ovens a deep clean. So, what’s the answer?
In short – it depends. How much you use it and what you cook all play a part in this. However, in general, we should aim to clean them at least once every 6 months.
So, if you are:
- Wondering how often you need to clean your oven;
- Asking yourself why it needs to be cleaned;
- Looking for tips on how to clean a cooker,
Then this article is for you!
How often do you need to clean your oven
This depends entirely on how often you use it and what type of food you cook more often. A good rule of thumb is to clean out the inside at least once every 6 months, or 2-3 times a year.
If you use your oven almost every day, or if your recipes require more grease, you would need to clean it more often. If you only use the oven once in a blue moon, you can get away with a good clean twice a year.
To prevent grease and dirt build-up, it’s recommended that you give your oven a quick wipe every now and then. This will make the more thorough cleaning easier once the time comes.
Why you need to clean your oven
Like any other appliance, your oven needs to be cleaned in order to continue functioning properly. Keeping it clean is just as important as keeping its mechanical parts up to par.
If you let grime build up inside your cooker, it can clog the filters and mechanisms, causing temperature issues, among many others. Not only that, but the build-up of grease also puts your oven at risk of a grease fire.
Letting food and dirt pile up is also a great opportunity for bacteria to grow. This bacteria can transfer over to your food and, in turn, to you and your family.
Aside from the health risks, accumulated grease and scorched food will also cause billowing smoke every time you open your oven. This can cause some burns, not to mention the charcoal taste it can give your food.
So, to prevent any of this, make sure you clean your oven regularly. While you’re at it, you can go one step further and take care of your cooking hob as well.
Cleaning tips and tricks
- Take out the racks before cleaning. To make cleaning easier, you should take out the racks and clean them separately. You can soak them in warm water and dishwashing liquid to loosen any burnt-on food and grease.
- If you want to avoid harsh chemicals, you can use baking soda and water as a cleaning solution. Make a paste from baking soda and some water. Spread it evenly on the inside of the oven.
- If using baking soda, let the mixture sit for 10-12 hours or overnight. This solution takes a while to work, so make sure you leave it long enough. Afterwards, you can spray some vinegar on the inside of the oven and wipe the mixture off with a damp cloth.
- Don’t forget to clean between the glass door. Some ovens allow access between the two glass panels, letting you clean them. To learn how to do just that, head over to our post on the matter.
- If your oven has a self-cleaning feature, you can use it instead. However, keep in mind the strong smell and heat that might escape from your oven during the process. It’s best to steer clear of the kitchen and keep it well ventilated during the self-cleaning cycle.
- If your cooker is especially dirty or greasy, consider hiring a professional.
Baking soda is a great natural cleaner. It works wonders when removing watermarks from wooden furniture, as well.
No time to clean your oven?
If the thought of tackling your oven chills you to the bone, or if you simply don’t have the time, we have a solution. Fantastic Services offers a deep cleaning service, performed by skilled and reliable professionals. The specialists come equipped with everything they need to complete the job, including a dip tank and any cleaning solutions they will require. You can rest and relax, knowing that your oven will be spotless and your dinner – tastier than ever!
Come one step closer to a sparkling oven! Find out about our deep cleaning service here.Learn more
- How often you clean your oven will depend on how much it’s used.
- As a general rule, you should clean your oven 2-3 times a year.
- Cleaning your oven is important to your health and the machine’s functionality.
- Some ovens come with self-cleaning features.
- If you don’t want to use harsh chemicals, you can use baking soda and vinegar.
Did this article answer your questions? How often do you clean your oven? Share with us in the comments below!
Image source: shutterstock / Africa Studio
- Last update: December 20, 2019
Posted in Oven Cleaning
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.