- Fantastic Team
- 4min read
- Published: March 12, 2020
- Views: 16
How to Clean a Stainless Steel Hob
If you love to cook often, then at one point you probably looked at your cooking hob and realized it looked better the day you bought it. The more you use it, the more stained it gets and if you leave it like that for a long time, the food deposits and grime will become harder to remove. But, fret not! Because the professional cleaners from Fantastic Services have made this simple guide on how to clean a stainless steel hob, just for you!
- Own a stainless steel hob;
- Wish to clean it in a way that preserves the surface,
Then keep reading! This article is for you!
Effective cleaning solutions for stainless steel
First, we’re going to list the most commonly used cleaning solutions. You can use them on any stainless steel surface, not just the hob.
- Dish soap and baby oil. Dish soap is very effective against grime on a stainless steel surface. And baby oil and mineral oil are perfect to use once you’ve cleaned it, for a shiny and polished surface.
- White vinegar and olive oil. You can spray white vinegar onto your hob and let it sit for a while. It will loosen up the grime and be ready for you to clean it up with less effort. You can apply vinegar as many times you need without worrying it will damage the surface. Then, you can use a little bit of olive oil to polish it.
- Baking soda. If you apply baking soda on your hob and let it sit for a while, it will be very easy to remove the grime and food deposits. Baking soda doesn’t just clean stainless steel, but it also brings out its beautiful shine.
- Commercial stainless steel cleaners. In the end, you can always purchase a stainless steel cleaner from your local store. Make sure to always read the instructions written on the bottle for the best results.
Tools you need
- A homemade or commercial cleaning solution of your choosing;
- At least three microfibre or soft cloths;
- A toothbrush for cleaning hard-to-reach places;
- Paper towels for drying;
- Rubber gloves.
Need a professional domestic cleaner?
Fantastic Services is here for you!
How to clean a stainless steel hob
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Now that you gathered your tools, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and clean up the grime off your stainless steel hob.
- Check your hob’s user manual.
Before doing anything, make sure to check the user manual of your hob, as it may contain information from the manufacturer about what to use and what not to use on the stainless steel surface.
- Make sure the hob is cool.
Never start cleaning a hob that is still hot from your latest cooking endeavour. You run the risk of burning yourself, not to mention the cleaning agent might evaporate and irritate your eyes or skin.
- Start with the removables.
Take off the removable parts of your hob and soak them in a cleaning solution of your choosing. Let them sit for a while, so that the grime may loosen. In the meantime, continue cleaning the hob surface.
- Apply your solution.
Spray white vinegar, baking soda or your commercial stainless steel cleaner on the hob and let them sit for a few minutes. Then, use a microfiber cloth to clean up the grime and food deposits. It’s important to know that just like wood and fabrics, steel also has grain. You won’t damage the surface if you wipe against the grain, however, it’s possible to trap miniature food particles in it. So, wipe with the grain instead, to ensure an effective clean.
- Use a toothbrush on the stubborn food deposits.
If some stains don’t want to come off, don’t torment yourself with harder rubbing. Simply use a soft toothbrush to get them off the surface.
- Dry up.
Dry the surface with paper towels. Move along the direction of the grain as you do.
- Apply polish.
After you’re done with the cleaning, it’s time to polish, using baby oil, mineral oil or any commercial stainless steel polish. Apply the polish with a clean and dry microfibre cloth, moving with the grain. Use a paper towel to dry the polishing agent.
- Clean the removables and place them back.
By now, the removable parts of your hob have soaked for long enough, so you can take them out and wipe off the loosened grime. Once they’re clean, wipe them dry with paper towels and place them back on the hob.
What to never use on stainless steel surfaces
- Jewellery polish. This is one thing you should never use since it’s corrosive to stainless steel.
- Bleach. Using a cleaning product that contains bleach on stainless steel is a very bad idea, as it stains and damages the surface.
- Abrasive tools. Steel wool, steel brushes or any other abrasive scrubbing pads can scrub away the protective layer of the stainless steel. So, don’t use them.
Hire professional domestic cleaners
Now that you know how to clean your stainless steel hob, all you have to do is pick a free date and do the task. But, if you prefer not to spend your free time cleaning, you can always rely on the professional cleaners at Fantastic Services. They will take this tedious task from your hands, so you can enjoy your time with family and friends instead.
Visit the main website for price rates on our professional domestic cleaners!More
- Stainless steel hobs can easily be cleaned with household products such as vinegar, baking soda and dish soap;
- If you don’t want to buy a commercial polisher, stainless steel can easily be polished with baby oil or another mineral oil you have on hand;
- It’s advisable to clean and polish with the direction of the grain;
- Never use jewellery polish, bleach or abrasive tools on a stainless steel surface, as they can easily damage it.
Have you cleaned your stainless steel hob before? Tell us how you did it in the comment section below!
Image source: Vladyslav Lehir/shutterctock.com
Posted in Cleaning Guides
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.