Everybody and their grandmothers love to chill in front of the TV with a nice big greasy slice of pizza or with a bucket of fried chicken. The problem is that the activity can turn really fast from enjoyable and relaxing to a complete nightmare. Why? Imagine dropping a chicken nugget on your carpet. Wasted food is a heartache on its own but we are talking about another type of damage here: the leftover grease stain.
- Method #1: Baking soda + dry cleaning solvent
- Method #2: Dishwashing detergent + vinegar
- Method #3: Glycerin + dishwashing detergent + vinegar
- Method #4: Rubbing alcohol
- Method #5: Dry cleaning solvent + cornmeal
- Method #6: Shaving cream
- How to get grease smell out of your carpet
- Additional grease removal tips
In this article, we are going to discuss all the methods of how to get grease out of your carpet. From removing bacon stains to how to get the grease smell out of your carpet – you can find it all here.
6 Effective Grease Stain Removal Solutions
For your convenience, we have gathered a few cleaning methods that you can use to remove grease spots out of your textile floor covering. All of these DIY solutions can be created with the help of things that you probably have lying around the house. So, if you are wondering how to get pizza grease out of the carpet, look no further.
However, remember to always test the solution on an inconspicuous area of your rug. Now, let’s begin!
- Remove the excess grease
- Cover the stain with an absorbent like cornstarch or baking soda
- Let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Vacuum the spotted area
- Put a dry-cleaning solvent on a clean cloth and gently pat the stain
- Repeat if needed
You can use this stain removal technique without the dry-cleaning solvent part on more delicate types of carpet, such as Oriental, Persian, etc.
- Apply the absorbent technique from the previous tip
- Mix one tablespoon of dishwashing detergent with the same amount of white vinegar and add two cups of warm water
- Use a sponge to dab over the stain with the mixture
- Blot until the carpet absorbs the solution
- Get a clean cloth, soak it in cold water, and clean the excess detergent
- Again, repeat the whole process if the stain doesn’t come out the first time
- Sponge the stain with a bit of water
- Mix equal parts of dishwashing soap and glycerin, pour eight parts of water, and finally, add to the mix a few drops of white vinegar. Shake well.
- Pour a good amount of the DIY detergent onto an absorbent pad and place it on the grease stain.
- Change the absorbent pad until the grease fully deseapers from your carpet.
This method is especially effective for those of you who puzzle over on how to get cooking grease out of your carpet.
- Apply a bit of rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and press it over the stain
- Let the area dry out
- Repeat the process until the stain is gone
- Rinse the treated area with water and blot
If you want, you can add a bit of salt and a few drops of essential oil to the spirit.
Remember to keep the room where the carpet is located well ventilated, when applying the spirit method. Wash your hands thoroughly after you are done. This method is also suitable for cleaning pollen stains on carpets, just make sure to test the solution on an invisible part of your textile floor covering before proceeding to the actual cleaning of the stain.
- Blot out the grease spot with a paper towel
- Apply an absorbent such a cornmeal
- Take a stiff bristled brush and use it to break up the stain
- Use a clean sponge to apply a dry-cleaning solvent
- Mix 8 parts of the same solvent with 1 part coconut oil to create a dry spotter
- Get a pad, add some of the spotter to it, and cover the stain
- Repeat if necessary
Dry-cleaning solvents and the dry spotter detergent work best on wool carpets.
- Apply a good amount of shaving cream to the stained area
- Use an old toothbrush to work in the cream
- Wipe the shaving cream off with a damp cloth
- Repeat the whole process until the stain is removed
This technique works wonders for those of you looking for a solution on how to get fat grease out of а carpet.
How to get grease smell out of your carpet
So, now that you’ve taken care of the actual stain, it’s time to deal with that specific smell, which grease comes with. Here is what you’ll need:
- Some white vinegar
- A bit of baking soda
- A spray bottle
- Sponge or a cloth
- Your trusty vacuum
You can use this method to fight almost any unpleasant odor coming from your carpet. For example, you can reduce the smell of a freshly deep-cleaned carpet using vinegar and baking soda.
Additional helpful tips on how to get grease out of your carpet
Here is a list of more helpful tips to use, in order to save your carpet from the torment of that greasy bacon stain:
- Always use cold water. This way you keep the stain from setting in between the carpet fibres.
- Never use bleach or ammonia on wool carpets. They will do more harm than good.
- Don’t use carpet spot cleaners on oriental rugs. You risk damaging the floor coverings’ fibres.
- You can use mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, and paint thinner as stain removers. Other than grease marks, these products can help you clean paint stains from your carpet as well.
Get a professional to do it for you
If you just don’t feel like scrubbing icky grease stains or are worried that you’ll ruin your antique Persian carpet, call a professional. We, at Fantastic Services, offer efficient carpet cleaning services at budget-friendly price points. No matter if your carpet is made from an organic or synthetic material, has a big grease splatter or just needs a bit of freshening up, we are here to help you. We work with industrial-grade equipment and special spot-cleaning detergents that are compatible with almost any type of carpeting out there. Book us today!
Removing grease stains from your carpet is not as complicated as you probably thought. With the right detergents and technique, you can get rid of even the most stubborn BBQ spot. We hope you found our article helpful in your fight against grease stains on your carpet.
No matter of the cleaning method, remember to always do a small spot test on hidden part of your carpet. Depending on the size, nature, and age of the stain, some of them might be impossible to remove. We cannot take responsibility if any of the above-mentioned methods do not work on your carpets.
Header image source: Depositphotos / kelpfish
Posted in Carpet Cleaning Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.