- Fantastic Team
- 7min read
- Published: November 22, 2018
- Views: 1,741
How to Get Grease Stains Out of Carpet
Everybody and their grandmothers love to chill in front of the TV with a nice big greasy slice of pizza or with a bucket of fried chicken. The problem is that the activity can turn really fast from enjoyable and relaxing to a complete nightmare. Why? Imagine dropping a chicken nugget on your carpet. Wasted food is a heartache on its own but we are talking about another type of damage here: the leftover grease stain.
In this article, we are going to discuss all the methods of how to remove grease from your flooring. From removing bacon stains to eliminating the unpleasant leftover smell – you can find it all here.
5 Effective Techniques to Get Grease out of Your Carpet
For your convenience, we have gathered a few cleaning methods that you can use to remove grease spots out of your textile floor covering. All of these DIY solutions can be created with the help of things that you probably have lying around the house. So, if you are wondering how to get pizza grease out of the carpet, look no further.
However, remember to always test the solution on an inconspicuous area of your rug.
Now, let’s begin!
How to get grease stains out of your carpet: Method #1
- Remove the excess grease.
- Cover the stain with an absorbent like cornstarch or baking soda. Let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Vacuum thoroughly the spotted area.
- Apply a dry-cleaning solvent on a clean cloth and gently pat the stain.
- Repeat until the stain is removed.
You can use this stain removal technique without the dry-cleaning solvent part on more delicate types of carpet, such as Oriental, Persian, etc.
How to get grease out of carpet: Method #2
- Blot the excess grease using a paper or a cloth towel.
- Mix one tablespoon of dishwashing detergent with the same amount of white vinegar and add two cups of warm water.
- Use a sponge to dab over the stain with the mixture. Leave the solution on the stain for about five minutes.
- Dab the carpet until as much of the liquid as possible is removed.
- Get a clean cloth, soak it in cold water, and clean the excess detergent from the carpet.
- Again, repeat the whole process if the stain doesn’t come out the first time.
If you’ve stumbled on a mud stain while tackling the grease spot on your carpet, stay calm. Simply use vinegar to remove the mud and freshen up the fibres. See how it’s done and find more cleaning methods as well in our blog post on how to clean muddy paw prints and get mud out of carpets.
How to get rid of grease stains on carpets: Method #3
- Sponge the stain with a bit of water.
- Mix equal parts of dishwashing soap and glycerin, pour eight parts of water, and finally, add to the mix a few drops of white vinegar. Shake well.
- Pour a good amount of the cleaning solution onto an absorbent pad and place it on the grease stain.
- Change the absorbent pad until the grease fully disappears from your carpet.
This method is especially effective for those of you who puzzle over on how to get cooking grease out of your carpet.
How to get grease stains out of your carpet: Method #4
- Apply a bit of rubbing alcohol to a clean cloth and press it over the stain.
- Let the area dry out. Rubbing alcohol will dissipate into the air, so crack a window if needed.
- Repeat the process until the stain is gone.
- Rinse the treated area with water and blot using clean cloth or paper towels.
If you want, you can add a bit of salt and a few drops of essential oil to the spirit.
Remember to keep the room where the carpet is located well ventilated when applying the spirit method. Wash your hands thoroughly after you are done. This method is also suitable for cleaning pollen stains on carpets, just make sure to test the solution on an invisible part of your textile floor covering before proceeding to the actual cleaning of the stain.
How to remove grease stains from your carpet: Method #5
- Apply a good amount of shaving cream to the stained area.
- Use an old toothbrush to work in the cream.
- Wipe the shaving cream off with a damp cloth.
- Repeat the whole process until the stain is removed.
This technique works wonders for those of you looking for a solution on how to get fat grease out of а carpet.
Dealing with the leftover smell
So, now that you’ve taken care of the actual stain, it’s time to deal with that specific smell, which grease comes with. Here is what you’ll need:
- Some white vinegar
- A bit of baking soda
- A spray bottle
- Sponge or a cloth
- Your trusty vacuum
You can use this method to fight almost any unpleasant odour coming from your carpet. For example, you can reduce the smell of a freshly deep-cleaned carpet using vinegar and baking soda.
Additional cleaning tips
Here is a list of more helpful tips to use, in order to save your carpet from the torment of that greasy bacon stain:
- Always use cold water. This way you keep the stain from setting in between the carpet fibres. This is valid for cleaning blood stains on carpets as well.
- Never use bleach or ammonia on wool carpets as it can irreversibly damage the carpet. For more information on wool maintenance, check out our post on how to clean wool and shaggy rugs.
- Don’t use carpet spot cleaners on oriental rugs. You risk damaging the floor coverings’ fibres.
- You can use mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, and paint thinner as stain removers. Other than grease marks, these products can help you clean paint stains from your carpet as well.
Get a professional to do it for you
If you just don’t feel like scrubbing icky grease stains or are worried that you’ll ruin your antique Persian carpet, call a professional. We, at Fantastic Services, offer efficient carpet cleaning services at budget-friendly price points. No matter if your carpet is made from an organic or synthetic material, has a big grease splatter or just needs a bit of freshening up, we are here to help you. We work with industrial-grade equipment and special spot-cleaning detergents that are compatible with almost any type of carpeting out there. Book us today!
Learn more about the different carpet cleaning methods and see how you can book a service.more
Removing grease stains from your carpet is not as complicated as you probably thought. With the right detergents and technique, you can get rid of even the most stubborn BBQ spot. We hope you found our article helpful in your fight against grease stains on your carpet.
No matter of the cleaning method, remember to always do a small spot test on hidden part of your carpet. Depending on the size, nature, and age of the stain, some of them might be impossible to remove. We cannot take responsibility if any of the above-mentioned methods do not work on your carpets.
Header image source: Depositphotos / kelpfish
- Last update: June 26, 2019
Posted in Carpet Cleaning Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.