- Fantastic Team
- 2min read
- Published: July 30, 2018
- Views: 611
How to Organise an Office Move
Moving an office is an important part of every business development and you’re not the only one who had to do it. It’s a hectic but necessary change for your workplace and you should know how to get through it smoothly. So, here is a general guide on how to organise an office move.
Reasons to Move an Office to a Different Location
There are lots of reasons to choose a new office for your business. The most common ones include:
- Lower rent. Rent costs can increase with time and at some point, they can become a challenge, especially if your business is in need to cut down on some investments. Moving to a place with lower rent can help a lot.
- Closer proximity to the target market. Maybe your location is preventing you from reaching your target demographic and your overall profit is suffering. A change of location might be just what you need.
- Improved lifestyle for employees. Your business depends on all your employees in order to function properly and achieve success. A location closer to their homes, or other amenities, such as shopping malls and sports centres would make them happy. And happy employees work better.
- Business opportunities. At first, you chose this location, simply because you didn’t know better. But, with the development of your business practices, you now see a much better place that can assist growth and profit.
How to Find a New Office Location
Now that you’ve decided to move your business, it’s time to find the right location. To do this, you can:
- Make a list of requirements. Sit down with your management team and determine what you require of the new space that you don’t already have here. It could be, more space, a new floor for a brand new department, lower rent, or anything else.
- Hire a broker. Once your requirements are obvious, you can make the process easier by hiring a real estate broker to help you in your search. A professional can easily find the type of new property your business needs.
- Inform employees. It’s a good idea to inform your employees early. It will be a big change for them, so it’s desirable to show them photographs of the new space and explain the reasons for this move. Let them have a word in an open discussion.
- Budget. You may want to go on the cheapest route possible, but you should make a good budgeting plan and make sure everything will go according to plan. In the budget, you should include the costs for the broker, the actual moving of the supplies and furniture and in the meantime, you should make sure your business operates as usual.
Planning To Move Office Soon?
No Worries, We Got You Covered
We are certified:
How to Organise an Office Move
- Assign roles to the staff. Six months before the date of the move, assign roles to everyone in the company. Most people should be accountable for their own chair, desk, computer and personal belongings. You can assign a role to a senior employee to take responsibility for specific items in the department, such as a common table or a plant. The devices that require a technical eye for their installation should be left to the IT department, or a professional office relocation team.
- Check your inventory. Know exactly what kind of items you have in your office building by taking an inventory. It’s a good idea to also evaluate which office supplies are no longer used, so you don’t have to move them as well. You’ll be surprised how many things you might end up disposing of.
- Hire a moving company and get insured. With a professional team of office relocators, you can be sure your move will go smoothly. Most companies offer moving insurance, but make sure you ask just in case. You’ll need to provide the list of your inventory and estimate the worth of the total number of items being moved.
- Create a timeline. If you decide to use professional movers, make sure that they will be available for your chosen date and time of the move. This would depend on their own schedule, as well as the additional services you might have booked from them, such as packing, or storage. Nevertheless, make sure the entire building is informed of your timeline and everyone is prepared for the move.
- Make an office floor plan. Before the move has taken place, you should sit down with the department leaders and the moving team, and make a floor plan for the new property. Discuss where every department will be situated and where each computer and table should go. Make sure all department leaders have a clear picture of their new office, as well as the moving team, knows where to place each item.
More Tips on Office Move Organisation
- Relocate during a slow period. There is never a good time for a move of such a scale, but the next best thing is choosing a slow period when you could allow yourself to stop operations for a few days. The most common time for this is the period between Christmas and New Year’s Eve, or sometime in the summer when there are fewer people in the office.
- Prioritise the IT department. Moving the IT department is the most complicated part, as their relocation also requires moving the company server. This is very hectic work, which is why it’s a good idea to move the department gradually, and cause the least disturbance to their work. This way, once the move is over, they will be able to get back on track much faster.
- Arrange for a cleanup. You’ll have to organise a cleaning crew to go through the empty building, once everyone and everything is out. Similarly, you will also have to arrange for a thorough clean of the new building in advance, so your employees and the moving team can arrive in a clean place and place everything in their respective spot.
- Send change of address notifications. From utilities, such as power suppliers, water suppliers, internet suppliers, to all your business partners, contacts and unions, make sure to announce the date of the move and the new address.
- Update business cards in advance. Update the address on all your business cards, both physical and digital. After all this hassle, it’s easy to forget to do something small as this, however, it can be quite problematic later.
Moving an entire office is not just a hard day for you, but for your entire team of employees. It’s a lot of work and a big responsibility for the ones in charge. That’s why the Fantastic Services team is always ready to help out.
Learn more about the services we can offer you to ease your relocation.Learn more
Header image source: Africa Studio / shutterstock.com
Did you find our tips on organising your office move helpful? Have you relocated recently, what difficulties have you faced? Why not share your thoughts with us in the comments below?
- Last update: May 29, 2019
Posted in Office Moving Advice
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.