- Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: December 23, 2018
- Views: 1,731
Should You Use Sand Infill for Artificial Grass?
So, you have taken the decision to embrace the many benefits of having artificial grass. And while you’re thinking of how beautiful life can be, as you don’t have to mow your lawn every Sunday, a question pops up. Can you do anything more to the artificial grass to make it even more durable and prolong its life?
Well, yes, yes you can.
Use sand infill.
And if you don’t know what exactly the process involves or if you’re still wondering whether you should do it or not, keep on reading. In this article, we will break down the pros and cons of using sand infill, explain the different types of material you can use, as well as share some tips and tricks with you on how to install and maintain the sand.
Should you use sand infill for artificial grass?
It’s important to understand that using sand infill for your artificial grass is not always necessary, but it is highly recommended and every specialist would tell you that you cannot go wrong by doing so. The procedure is done after you have installed the grass itself. The only possible downside is for the actual installer because they have to transport all that heavy sand, prolong the artificial grass installation process and miss out on the chance to appear cheaper than their competitors, who include the sand in their service.
Here you can read more about how to lay artificial grass.
However, let’s dig deeper into what are the…
Benefits of using sand infill for artificial grass
- Durability: This is one of the most obvious reasons. Sand is durable and will contribute quite a lot to the well-being of your artificial grass. It’s especially helpful in high-traffic areas and will keep the natural look and feel of the grass for many years.
- Absorbency: The different kinds of sand infills will have different absorbency properties. For instance, rubber infill absorbs heat and increases the temperature of the area where it’s installed. Durafill, on the other hand, absorbs shock well, making the ground feel more natural. It’s also known for not soaking up water, which makes it easier to maintain and perfect if you have pets, as any liquid will just drain through the turf drainage holes.
- Stability: Having a sand infill will prevent the weed membrane and artificial grass rolls from having any wrinkles or folds. It will keep them in place.
- Neat look: The sand around the grass blades will keep them up at all times, maintaining the presentable look of the garden.
- Fire resistance: Having sand in between the grass will also make it more fireproof and will protect it from fast-spreading flames.
- Cost-effectiveness: When choosing the exact type of sand infill, you have to consider the future. Do not put price before quality. A good infill will not be replaced as often and all of its features will only save you money in the future.
- Versatility: Sand infills are very child and pet-friendly, especially when compared to rubber infills, which have the tendency to become messy and leave black dust on all kinds of surfaces. Sand infills are good value for money and will benefit everyone, who uses their garden frequently, especially children and pets.
- Keeping the turf in place: If you have an artificial grass area that is not filled with a sand system, the synthetic surface may expand during big heat waves. This will not only create unsightly waves in the artificial grass, but it could also be dangerous for people, as they may trip over.
- Better protection: Non-sand filled areas are also exposed to damage from dogs, cats and other pets you might have. The sand will protect the base of your grass.
- Good for uneven surfaces: Laying sand in an area that is uneven or contoured, will weigh down the grass and hold it in place.
If you want to have a sparkling clean finish to your garden, spray the area to remove any leftover dirt, dust, pollen and other pollutants. Having a clean base will also help with the distribution of the infill sand.
Types of Sand Infills
Now it’s time to get to know the most popular types of sand infills, each one of them with its own perks and cons.
- Silica sand. This type of sand infill is mostly used for medium to low traffic areas. It’s sold in most stores, it’s inexpensive and quite easy to install. This makes it a popular choice, especially for balconies, decks, thick turf, hills or any open or closed grass areas that are not frequently used. The sand itself is not round, but angular, which makes the composition a bit harder. Unfortunately, this type of infill is also known for trapping pet odours.
- Durafill. This type is highly recommended for high-traffic areas, such as athletic fields, playgrounds, pet areas and lawns. It’s also the only kind of sand infill, which has bacteria-killing properties. It does not absorb liquids nor heat, so your turf will stay cool and it’ll be easy to maintain. Unlike the silica sand, the shape of the particles is round, which makes it a lot safer for kids and pets. Durafill is the most expensive kind as well, mostly because of the many superior qualities it has in comparison to the other types of infills.
- Rubber infill. Due to its round particles and bouncy qualities, this type of infill is widely used in sports facilities. It gives a lot more volume to the grass than the other kinds but it also absorbs heat and odour the most. Having a rubber infill will increase the heat of the area and will most likely leave black spots on your clothes, skin and other surfaces.
- A sand rubber mix. Mixing both kinds will be wiser than just using one of them, and you will be able to cover more ground without paying as much. Unfortunately, this will also bring out the unpleasant qualities that rubber infill has.
Remember that you should only purchase kiln dried silica sand, which can be found in your local DIY store. As we mentioned earlier, the best decision is not to compromise on the quality just to get a better price. It will make the whole process a lot more difficult than it needs to be, even if the people installing the sand are professionals. It may also lead to weeds growing through your turf and other similar problems.
Disadvantages of using sand infill
Most of the possible disadvantages of having a sand infill can be avoided if you choose to trust a professional with the installation.
- Restricted drainage – The rolls of grass and the weed membrane are both with a holed backing, which is not visible when the materials are laid down. The sand infill might clog up the drainage holes, thus, leaving the grass moist.
- You could get messy – One of the main reasons why people choose to install artificial grass is because it’s hassle and mess free. And if you’ve ever played in an area with sand infill, you know that it gets everywhere and needs to be cleaned afterwards.
- Weed growth – Having a sand-infill base may lead to airborne pollination, which means that you may end up with weeds growing in between the artificial grass.
So now, confident that installing a sand infill is the best choice for your artificial grass, wonder no more and opt for the expert turf laying solutions from Fantastic Services. We can help you install your artificial grass and even if, in the end, you have chosen not to go with the sand infill, it’s no problem! We offer both types of installation – with or without, and the whole process is specialised and customised to meet your needs.
Learn more about our gardening methods and how we install turf professionally.More
Do you already have a synthetic turf with a sand infill? What are your thoughts and opinions about its pros and cons? Let us know in the comments below and if you enjoyed this article, don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
- Last update: February 8, 2019
Posted in All About the Lawn
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.