You noticed or scented (which is probably worse) that your carpet needs a good deep clean. As any diligent homeowner or renter would do, you decided that it’s finally time to give that shaggy piece of fabric a good bath.
To do so, you’ve probably rented a carpet cleaning machine or called a professional carpet cleaning company, moved your pet into another room, and prayed to all the gods you knew that those stains would come off with ease.
So far, so good.
A couple of hours later, you got your lovely carpet cleaned, yet your nose receptors are still telling you that something’s not right.
But why does your carpet smell worse after cleaning it?
Let’s see what are the causes of that musty smell in the room and what can you do to fight it.
Reasons your carpet smells bad after cleaning it
The main cause for a stinky carpet after cleaning is that the underlying backing or padding got wet during the clean and wasn’t dried well afterwards. Because the carpet backing and padding hold moisture and trap smells from aged spills and stains, the bad odour often intensifies after professional cleaning and it takes time to disappear.
If the carpet is relatively new, the so-called “wet dog” smell should disappear after the item is fully dry. For brand new items, check our post on how to reduce the scent of a new carpet.
For older carpetings, this might be a sign of their underlays breaking down. If so, it might be the time to retire your carpet or rug and replace it with a freshly bought one.
However, before doing anything at all, ask yourself the following questions:
- How well was the carpet cleaned?
- Was there any smell BEFORE it was cleaned?
Let’s start with the first one.
The main reason for carpeting to smell worse after professional cleaning is overwetting. The most common causes for overwetting are:
- The rental carpet cleaning machine was not powerful enough to suck up the moisture from the fibres;
- The carpet cleaning technician was inexperienced and overwetted the carpeting;
- Using too much detergent or shampoo, and not rinsing the rug well afterwards;
- Poor drying conditions, such as high humidity levels or insufficient air circulation.
If #2 is the case and the carpet smelled like mildew even before the cleaning procedure, here are the possible reasons:
- A flood in the past you are not aware of (check the pipes of the ice maker connected to the fridge, inspect your HVAC system, and look for leaking faucets);
- Mould and mildew growth on grip rods or skirting boards;
- Aged carpet underlays which are breaking down;
These three factors are extremely interconnected and can affect your carpet in a truly disastrous way.
What you should know if your carpet smells like a dog after cleaning
Before learning what to and what not to do, let’s start with what you should know:
- Carpets with hessian backing tend to smell more than foam-backed ones;
- Drying time depends on how wet the carpet is and how hot/dry the air is.
- For carpets which are 100% woolen, sniffing a wet dog smell is somewhat natural while the item is still wet and the odour should disappear once it dries out.
Any reputable carpet cleaning technician should provide you with instructions on how to take care of your carpet right after a deep clean.
Have a smelly carpet after cleaning? Here are some quick remedies
Here’s how you can get rid of that musty smell out of your freshly cleaned carpet while it’s drying:
- Open all windows, if the weather allows it, to ensure proper air circulation near the wet carpet;
- Sprinkle baking soda or leave an entire box open overnight to absorb the smell, then vacuum it up;
- Pour white vinegar in bowls and place them around the room. The vinegar will absorb pretty much any odour, including wet carpet smell.
- Place a kitty litter near the carpeted area to soak up the bad smell. Be cautious if you have cats as they can treat it as a bathroom.
- Use Febreze for carpets, but test the product for discolouration first on an inconspicuous area of your rug.
- Spread Borax over the carpet and gently scrub it in with a broom or dry brush.
- Place a dehumidifier in the room;
- Rent or use your own fans and point them directly at the carpet (for example, Fantastic Services provides you with a free Air Mover system which speeds up the process with up to 3 times).
What should you not do?
As mentioned above, you should receive instructions on what not to do with your carpet from the cleaning company or shop as well. If you didn’t get any directions for whatever reason, here are the things you should avoid doing while your carpet is still wet:
- Putting furniture on the carpet. This creates a heavenly environment for mould or mildew growth beneath the chairs and sofas. Also, wooden furniture legs can leave dented marks on the wet carpet. The wet carpet can damage the wood as well. Return the furniture in the room only after the carpet has fully dried.
- Trying to vacuum the carpet with your household vacuum. Not a good idea unless it is approved for wet vacuuming. To pull this off, you will need a vacuum model that is able to soak up moisture.
- Stepping on the carpet while it is still wet. This will squeeze water back up from the pad and re-wet the carpet.
What if the problem still persists?
That’s it – you tried everything you could, but the unpleasant carpet damp smell refuses to go away. Well, unfortunately, odds are that there’s a good chance that the underlying surface of your carpet is damaged.
If that’s the case, it might be too late for you to save it and you should consider replacing the carpeting (here, you can find the nearest carpet recycler). Sadly, even professional carpet cleaners can’t help you with this one. This is simply something beyond their expertise and capabilities.
Play it safe, choose Fantastic Services!
Why you ask? Because all carpet cleaning technicians working with Fantastic Services are diligent and experienced in their field. Each job starts with a preparation and a quick viewing of the carpet to prevent any damages such as overwetting and discolouration during the service.
Experiencing the wet dog smell?
Let the experts eliminate it for you today!
We are certified:
Now that you have a clue of why your carpet smells after cleaning it, it is time to resolve this issue! If you have any questions, please do let us know using our comment section.
Posted in Cleaning Guides
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.