- Fantastic Team
- 4min read
- Published: March 24, 2020
- Views: 35
How to Set Up a Home Office: Step-by-step Guide
Working from home is all fun and games until you realise that getting out of your pyjamas and getting ready is actually important. Working from bed is quite tempting, but at the same time, it reduces your productivity. Setting up a proper workspace in your home will benefit your time management skills and work efficiency, especially if you find it extremely difficult to discipline yourself.
So, if you are someone who:
- Has to work from home for a certain period of time;
- Wants to be more productive while working from home;
- Needs to achieve a healthy work/life balance;
- Wants to create a designated home office space.
Then follow the steps below to create your own home office and be the best, most productive version of yourself.
Step 1: Figure out what’s best for you
Everyone has different needs and wants. Depending on your job, your personality and the type of your home, you may want to consider a couple of questions. What equipment do you need? Do you use a laptop or a desktop computer? Do you need a printer? Do you need a space to write, draw or just plan?
Simply review your work process and write down all the technology and items you use on a daily basis. This way, you’ll figure out how big your new home office needs to be.
Step 2: Choose a room
Needless to say, if you have an available room, you can designate it as a workspace. Just scroll through Pinterest and choose the design that suits your preferences. However, if you live in a smaller house or flat, you’ll have to pick a spare corner in your living room, bedroom or any other room at your house.
If possible, try not to work in your bedroom because you’ll start associating your bedroom with work, making it very difficult to switch off from work, which will have a negative impact on your work-life routine.
For the sake of your productivity, choose a quiet place that makes you feel comfortable but also energetic. Just make sure that you have a desk and enough storage space.
Step 3: Choose a comfortable desk and chair
Whether you’ll use a desk or some sort of a table, you need to adjust its level. The top of your computer screen should be at eye level or a little below, in order to avoid eyestrain and headaches.
If you’re buying a new desk, keep in mind that the size of the desk depends on how many and how big are the things that you’ll place on it.
You need a really comfortable chair. You’re going to be spending long hours sitting on it, so it’s important to get the most comfortable office chair you can afford for your home office.
Step 4: Get creative with the storage
Organisation is key to creating the perfect office space. Make sure that everything you need throughout your workday is nearby. Here are some tips to consider when organising the items in your home office storage:
- Get a corkboard – The corkboard is a perfect tool to avoid paper clutter. Also, if you tend to forget about your next task or meeting, you can just pin a note on the board, instead of flooding your desktop.
- Try wall storage – Amplify your home office’s storage capacity by optimising wall space. There are many DIY wall storages that you can create by yourself, using fabric, wood or even paper. This idea will save you from wasting time while looking for this and that.
- Paper bin for the win – This is a very simple detail that you shouldn’t skip. Heaving a trash bin will keep your place more organised and clean.
- The boring pen and paper holders are a must – In today’s world, many people don’t need paper in their working process at all. However, there are still jobs that require the usage of paper documents. In case you use a lot of paper, make sure you have labelled folders.
Step 5: Add inspiration
Small things matter. You can include small items that inspire your work and motivate you. Looking at things you love will improve your mood and create a good atmosphere. Here are some ideas that might work for you:
- Photo frame – A photo of your loved ones can be a great choice, but at one point you just stop noticing it. When you get used to things they become like wallpaper. So, make sure to put a photo, cartoon or whatever makes you happy in a frame and then change it often.
- Mug – Nearly 60% of people said they had an emotional attachment to a favourite mug in a survey by the Heinz company. So, if your mug makes you feel happy, then make sure you use it throughout your workday.
- Plant – Plants can increase the humidity in the room, remove toxins from the air, and add a touch of style to your desk. If you are not a plant person, you can consider buying a succulent.
- Candle – Burning a candle can have many health benefits. Scented candles that use quality essential oils can promote relaxation, reduce anxiety and stress and induce quality sleep. Whenever you feel anxious at work, you can just light the candle on your desk.
- Stress ball or game cube – Another way to reduce stress is to get a stress-reliever toy. There is a huge variety of gadgets, from stress balls to maze cubes.
Get help from our professionals
While you might be enthusiastic and very creative that you can set up your home office on your own, you may need a little help. We know that you’re probably busy with work and looking after your kids at home. That’s why you can entrust the task to the professionals. From assembling desks and file cabinets to repainting the walls, they can tackle them all! So, save yourself the hassle and let the Fantastic Services handymen do the work instead of you.
Need help with the home office of your dreams?
Find a professional to take care of it.
- If you don’t have a free room in your home, make sure that you choose a corner in some of the rooms that have access to light and makes you feel relaxed;
- Getting a proper desk and a comfortable chair are the most important tasks when creating a home office;
- Create storage that works best for you and add little details that make you happy.
We hope that you found this article helpful! We’ll be happy to hear about your home office! If you have working-from-home tips, feel free to share them in the comment section below!
Images source: Photographee.eu/shutterstock.com
- Last update: March 30, 2020
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.