- Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: July 2, 2020
- Views: 44
Should I Get a Gas or Electric Oven
If your old oven is in need of replacement, there’s a big decision ahead of you: should you get a new gas or electric oven? Choosing between the two is no small matter, although, to some, this decision is easy. After all, if you’re comfortable and used to using a particular type, there’s no point changing it.
But if you’re willing to experiment and wish to bring some changes in your kitchen and to the meals you prepare, you might feel like weighing out your options. There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a new oven and the Fantastic Services’ team is here to give you the pros and cons of gas and electric ovens.
- Are in the process of replacing your oven;
- Are moving into a new place and this is the first time you’re furnishing your own kitchen;
- Need information to decide which appliance is the best fit for you;
Then, keep reading, as this article has all your questions answered!
What’s the difference between a gas and electric oven?
All in all, both ovens do the same thing – they cook food. The main and obvious difference between gas or electric ovens is that, as the name says, one runs on gas and the other runs on electricity. So, you may think that it all comes down to personal preference. But there are a few pros and cons of using either that can affect your final decision:
Benefits of gas ovens
- Temperature control. Gas ovens offer precision in temperature control, as you can adjust the intensity of the flame. Also, once the flame is lit, you have instant heat. When you turn the flame off, cooking stops almost immediately, so you can leave your food, without worrying if it would overcook. Also, gas has proven to cook food more evenly than an electric cooktop.
- Low technical maintenance. Experience has proven that unlike electric ovens, gas appliances have a longer lifespan and don’t need as much technical maintenance. Replacement of faulty parts is not a common issue with gas ovens. Once you buy it and connect it to your gas supply, you’ve made a lifetime investment.
- Perfect for moist cooking. Gas ovens create a more humid environment during the cooking process. Moist cooking includes poaching, simmering, boiling and steaming. A gas oven is perfect for these. It’s one of its key strengths.
- Doesn’t rely on electricity. If you live in an area with frequent power outages, a gas oven is a perfect solution. Since it’s not connected to your electricity supply, you could continue with your cooking even during a blackout.
- Low running costs. Natural gas costs less than electricity. If you frequently use your oven, this can drastically lower your utility bills. In contrast, electric ovens have high electricity usage and would most certainly increase your monthly bills.
Drawbacks of gas ovens
- Dry cooking is a challenge. Since gas ovens create a humid environment, dry cooking, such as roasting, baking, sauteing, broiling and grilling, needs a lot more work than with an electric oven. If you attempt dry cooking, you’ll have to rotate the pan frequently and place it further away from the heat source.
- Difficult to clean. To clean the gas cooktop, you’ll have to remove the heavy iron burner grates. There are also small moving parts attached to each burner, which can get knocked out of place by accident. This can result in uneven flames, which makes for problematic cooking.
- Pollutes indoor air. Recent studies have shown that cooking with gas pollutes the indoor air a lot more than electric cooking. The average CO levels in houses with an electric oven are between 0.5 and 5 ppm. While homes with a gas oven generate between 5 and 15 ppm. This can increase if you aren’t ventilating the place enough.
- More expensive option. Gas ovens might decrease your monthly bills, however, on average they are a lot more expensive to purchase. They also require more complex installation, as they need to be connected to the gas supply. Unlike electric ovens, which only require to be plugged in an electrical outlet.
Do you need a professional appliance installer to fit in your gas oven?
The Fantastic Services is here for you!
Benefits of electric ovens
- Extra features. Electric ovens come with a variety of features that make cooking a lot easier. They often have fans and grills, or an additional element designed to only keep the food warm. Gas ovens don’t come with these.
- Perfect for dry cooking. Electric ovens are made to produce a dry cooking environment, so if dry cooking is what you use mainly to prepare food, they’re your solution. Baking and roasting come natural and the heat is more evenly distributed.
- Easy installation. Electric ovens don’t rely on an external fuel source like their gas counterparts. So, installation is easy – simply place the appliance on its designated spot and plug it into a power outlet.
- More affordable option. Electric ovens are the more affordable option, costing on average 50% less than what you’d pay for a gas oven.
Drawbacks of electric ovens
- Takes time to heat up. With gas ovens, you have instantaneous starting and stopping of the heat source, while with an electric oven, it takes time to heat up and cool down. The same goes if you need to adjust the temperature. This lack of precise control is the biggest drawback for most people.
- Relies on electricity. If there’s a power outage, forget about cooking dinner on time. Unfortunately, the electric oven makes you completely dependent on your electrical supply.
- Breakable. If you’re not careful and drop something heavy on the cooktop, it might shatter. The same goes if you accidentally splash cold water on a hot burner. The smooth surface is also prone to scratches, which can ruin the shiny finish.
- High running costs. While an electric oven is more affordable to purchase, you will notice an increase in your monthly utility bills. The yearly cost of using an electric oven is more than double the cost of using a gas model. If you cook often in your oven, then, an electric one is not your best option.
Gas or electric oven – which is the right choice for you?
As you can see, choosing the right oven depends entirely on your personal preferences. If you do more moist than dry cooking, a gas oven would be the right choice. And of course, there’s nothing wrong with choosing the opposite just to test if it works better for you. Whichever one you decide on, make an informed decision.
Do you need a professional to install your new appliance?
No matter if you’ve chosen a gas or electric oven for your kitchen, you will need help with installation. Whether it’s a built-in appliance or not, the Fantastic Services’ team is here to help you in your time of need. This goes especially if you’ve made up your mind and decided on getting a gas oven, as connecting it to your gas supply is intricate work that needs a professional touch. Or if you simply have an issue you need repairing, check out the Fantastic Services team of professional appliance repairmen.
Visit the main website for price rates for our professional appliance technicians!More
- Gas ovens have a higher purchase price than electric ovens, however, they have lower running costs;
- Gas ovens are better at moist cooking, while electric ovens are better at dry cooking;
- Gas ovens are more durable than electric ovens and generally have a longer lifespan;
- Gas ovens can still be operational during power outages;
- Electric ovens are easy to clean and generally come with extra features unlike their gas counterparts;
- Gas ovens are more difficult to install and you might require the help of a professional technician.
Are you looking for a new oven to replace your old one? Do you prefer a gas or electric oven? Tell us in the comments!
Image source: Africa Studio/shutterstock.com
Posted in Home Improvement
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.