DIY carpet cleaning methods don’t always work the way they are supposed to. Or maybe it’s just time for a good thorough cleaning to make your carpet looking fresh again. In that case, you turn to a professional carpet cleaner to do the job for you. But at one point you are left at the crossroad – dry carpet cleaning or steam cleaning is the right one for your carpets? You are at the right place! In this article, you will read about the main differences between the two carpet cleaning methods and make your choice a bit easier.
Let’s take a deeper look at the cleaning methods:
Steam Carpet Cleaning / Hot Water Extraction Process
Before we begin explaining the process, it’s very important to mention, that steam cleaning, as a term, is widely used by companies when trying to describe the hot water extraction method.
People mix the two because of the amount of steam that is produced during the treatment, but it does not actually contribute to the result in any way. This method uses a professional machine that basically injects a mixture of warm water and a special, eco detergent into the carpet, and extracts the water right after, along with the dirt. This treatment is especially good for removing stains and built-up residue.
You should be aware that after the cleaning is complete, your carpets will need a couple of hours to dry out completely, mostly depending on the season and the type of your carpet. That’s why we offer our clients a special machine we can bring that is called AirMover, which speeds up the process of drying with up to 5 hours.
Bear in mind that as this is the most powerful method on the market at the moment, if a stain does not come out after a steam cleaning, it probably never will.
Steam carpet cleaning pros and cons
- This method is highly recommended by carpet manufacturers and cleaning professionals from all over the world.
- There is no product residue left behind after the procedure because the water-detergent ratio is definitely in favour of the water part.
- The ability to get really deep into the carpet’s fibres and dissolve most of the dirt.
- Specially designed for removing stains.
- Perfect for general carpet refresher, not only stain removal.
- Cannot be used to clean delicate materials such as natural fibres, silk, viscose, leather, 100% cotton and many other. Always check the label of your carpet, or contact the provider company before cleaning it.
- The drying time may take from 3 to 6,7 hours, depending on the carpet.
- There is a big chance of fungal or bacterial growth if the carpet is not cleaned or dried properly.
- The carpet machine for this method is heavy and noisy. Most of the time, there are restrictions for the machine to be used in certain times of the day or the week.
- synthetic (microfibre, man-made, polyester);
- woollen materials.
Dry Carpet Cleaning Method
This method is mostly used for more delicate materials. Not many people make the choice of having velvet upholstery or a nubuck carpet, but the ones that do have, need to be aware that those materials require some special treatment, in order to be cleaned properly. There are detergents made just for dry cleaning and for the different materials, as well. They are gentle to the surface and won’t damage it, but at the same time, they are strong enough to clean it and kill any bacteria.
Here is how this method is performed: the technician starts with applying the chemicals to the affected area and proceeds with spraying some water to help the detergent react on the carpet or the upholstery item. After the chemicals have reacted with the dirt, everything is vacuumed and unlike the steam cleaning, you can use the freshly cleaned carpet right away.
Dry carpet cleaning pros and cons
- Very short drying time
- Suitable for delicate and expensive materials, with almost no risk for damage.
- Sometimes, there is a little bit of detergent residue, which is really hard to remove.
- Does not work effectively on stains.
- Some of the detergents are a bit harsh, so if you are using a dry cleaner on you own, consult with a specialist first.
Which method is for you?
So, these are the fundamentals of both dry and steam carpet cleaning techniques along with their advantages and disadvantages. The most important thing is to be completely sure what material your carpet or upholstery item is made of. This will be the main factor to determine which one of the techniques will be better for you. If a spill occurs, no matter the material, take care of it immediately. Often, if the stain is already embedded deep into the fibres, even the strongest method will not be able to take care of it.
|Characteristics||Hot water extraction / Steam carpet cleaning||Dry carpet cleaning|
|Drying time||3 to 7 hours to dry completely.||Little to no drying time.|
|Suitable fabrics||Synthetic fabrics and woollen materials.||Delicate fabrics like jute, sisal and sea-grass.|
|Stain removal||Effective against stains.||Does not work effectively on stains.|
|Water quantity||A relatively higher amount of water is used during the rinsing cycle.||Little to no water is used.|
To learn more about the different cleaning techniques and their positive and negative sides, read our blog post on the best carpet cleaning methods.
Professional Carpet Cleaning by Fantastic Services
If you are still unsure which method is suitable for your type of textile floor covering, worry not!
Take the safe road from the beginning, turn to a professional carpet technician. He will not only clean your carpets the way they should be cleaned, but will also give you thorough instructions on how to take care of them better and avoid unpleasant situations in the future. We at Fantastic Services offer steam carpet cleaning and dry rug cleaning and competitive rates!
Learn more about our cleaning methods, get expert carpet cleaning advice and receive a free quote!more
What are your thoughts and impressions of steam and dry cleaning? Let us know in the comments below and if you enjoyed this article, don’t forget to share it with your family and friends.
No matter of the cleaning method, remember to always do a small spot test on hidden part of your carpet. Depending on the size, nature, and age of the stain, some of them might be impossible to remove. We cannot take responsibility if any of the above-mentioned methods do not work on your carpets. Please read our full disclaimer here.
Posted in Carpet Cleaning
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.