- Fantastic Team
- 6min read
- Published: December 15, 2019
- Views: 85
Dry Cleaning vs Laundry: Which Method is Better
Wondering which one to choose: dry cleaning or washing? You are not alone! Sometimes it is hard to decide which method is better for your health, your convenience and your clothes. If you are quick to worry about that new suit, scarf or the new leather jacket, the first thing to do is to check the care label. However, often this tag doesn’t provide you with the complete image.
So, if you:
- Are wondering which method to choose;
- Want to know the difference between dry cleaning and wet cleaning;
- Are anxious to put some of your clothes in the washer.
Then read on, because this article will answer the question which is better – dry cleaning or laundry. But before we do that, you need to get a clear idea of what exactly these two terms mean.
How does dry cleaning work
Are you scared to put a garment labelled “dry clean only” in the washing machine? Are the weird noises from your washing machine making you crazy? You may want to consider dry cleaning.
To dry clean, or not to dry clean: that is a dilemma. We’ve heard so many myths about dry cleaning that we decided to clear this topic up and explain to you how does dry cleaning work.
- Clothes are rinsed with a chemical solvent.
As you may already be aware, dry cleaning doesn’t use water. However, this doesn’t mean that it’s liquid free.
- Dealing with stains.
Chemical perchloroethylene (PERC) is used to remove stains and grease from the garments.
The dry cleaned clothes are loaded in a machine and washed, using the process of tumbling.
The clothes are dried in a special dry cleaning machine.
- Steaming or ironing.
The last step is to steam or iron the clothes.
Benefits of dry cleaning
- Doesn’t cause shrinkage of fabric. Therefore, it’s suitable for larger furnishing items like curtains, for example.
- High-quality fabrics don’t get damaged. That’s why it’s a better option for more delicate fibres, such as leather, wool, silk, cashmere, etc.
- It protects the colour and the texture of the fabric. To avoid problems with colour or size changes, we recommend using the dry cleaning method.
- It effectively deals with hard-to-remove stains, such as grease and oil.
What is green dry cleaning?
That is why we recommend that you choose companies that use environmentally-friendly products that are less harmful.
How does laundry washing work
Laundry is a process widely known by people since the majority have their washing machines at home. You probably know that the traditional wet laundry cleaning requires water and washing detergent, but have you ever asked yourself how does your washing machine work?
- Laundering includes water, laundry detergent, fabric softener.
Whether it’s machine washing or hand washing, these are the products used in the process.
The garments need to be sorted by colour and type of fabric, before being loaded in the washing machine.
- Dealing with stains.
Applying a stain remover before is a must pre-treat before washing.
Whether it is hang drying or machine drying, this is a very long process.
After laundering, the washed clothes need to be steamed or pressed.
Benefits of washing
- It ensures a deep clean of the garments.
- Newly-washed clothes have a fresh scent.
- Laundered clothes are chemical-odour-free.
- It is skin-friendly and it does not harm the environment.
Note: As we already mentioned, many dry cleaning companies are eco-friendly, too.
- It is cheaper and more energy-efficient.
Laundering vs Dry Cleaning: The recap
As you already know, the difference between dry cleaning and laundering is huge. Each method has its own advantages and both of them use completely different products and machinery. However, we’ve promised to give a response to the battle – dry cleaning vs washing machine. And the answer is (drumroll please) – it depends on the garment type, fibre and the dirt. The easiest way to decide between dry cleaning and laundry is to read the care label, to consider both of the processes explained above or to ask a professional.
We recommend laundering on a regular basis. However, when special treatment is required, whether it’s for specific fabric or a stubborn stain, we advise you to choose the dry cleaning method.
Get your clothes professionally cleaned by Fantastic Services
You already know the pros and cons of each process and the garment material. In case, you are still not sure or you don’t want to destroy your favourite shirt, get professionals to do it for you. It will not only save you the effort but it will also save you plenty of time since our quality dry cleaning and laundry services offer pick-up and delivery. What’s more, Fantastic Services’ laundry and dry cleaning methods are completely eco-friendly and do not use harsh chemicals.
What is better than getting your clothes back within 24 hours, clean, fresh and ironed, ready to go directly in the wardrobe? Save yourself the hassle and book your expert laundry and dry cleaning service in just a few minutes using the form below!
Need Laundry and Dry cleaning service?
Find a professional to take care of your clothes.
- Dry cleaning is actually wet, it just uses chemicals or naturalised CO2 instead of water and detergent.
- Always read the care label first.
- Choose dry cleaning and laundry services that use eco-friendly products.
- The benefits of washing include deep clean, fresh scent and energy efficiency.
- The pros of dry cleaning are colour protection, less abrasive, convenient and no shrinkage.
- Choosing between these two methods depends on the garment fabric, its type and how grimy it is.
Which method do you prefer? Do you have experience with dry cleaning? Are you a fan of laundering? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Image source: Shutterstock / New Africa
- Last update: January 10, 2020
Posted in Cleaning Guides
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.