- Fantastic Team
- 7min read
- Published: August 16, 2019
- Views: 49
How to Install a Washing Machine
A washing machine is one of those appliances that no home can go without. Most models are made to last for at least a decade, depending on its maintenance. However, at some point, every washing machine will give into general wear and tear and you’d have to replace it with a new one. And, if you don’t know how you installed the first one, you might find yourself faced with a challenge.
Worry not! The Fantastic Services team is here to aid you in the installation process of your new appliance. Just follow our simple guide on how to install a washing machine and you’ll forget about this short inconvenience in no time. This article is also for those of you who:
- Need to replace their old washing machine with a new one;
- Are buying their first washing machine for their new home.
How to find the right spot for your washing machine
Naturally, if you are replacing an old washing machine, the new one will go on the same spot. However, if you are moving into a brand new place that has yet to be furnished, you should spare a thought on the most convenient place for this important appliance.
In order to find the best spot for your new appliance, you need to cover a few basic requirements. Of course, access to water is a must. It’s also advisable not to place it on a hardwood floor, as wood materials could get damaged should any leaks occur. Instead, a tiled floor is perfect for the job. The room should be well isolated and temperatures shouldn’t fall below zero degrees. And of course – don’t forget to provide access to an electrical outlet so you can turn on the appliance.
Before buying a new washing machine, you should measure it to make sure it fits the chosen spot. Washing machines come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Don’t forget to measure the doorways as well, so that the appliance can fit through them. The standard dimensions of most washing machines are 85x60x60 centimetres. However, depending on the volume, the dept could vary between 40 and 70 centimetres. Also, it’s important to have at least 1 centimetre of free space from all sides of the appliance.
A washing machine needs to be evenly leveled from all sides in order to avoid damages. Most washers come with leveling feet. These are adjustable legs placed under the appliance that ensure better leveling on the hard surface. Turning them clockwise will lower the corner of the washer and adjusting them counterclockwise will raise it. You can use a spirit level to properly level the appliance.
How to move an old washing machine
If you’re replacing an old washing machine, you will have to first remove the old one so you can make space for the new. This can be a challenge, and not just because the washer is heavy.
- Disconnect the machine from the water and power supply. First, switch off the water supply to the washing machine. The pressure in the water supply hoses should lift immediately. Then unplug the washing machine from the power outlet. Once you are done with that, you will be ready to move it from its spot.
- Move the machine out of the way. You will need somebody to help you out with this since washing machines are quite heavy. If you’re working alone, don’t attempt to lift it by yourself. Instead, move one side forward, then do the same for the other. Pull the machine forward, while trying not to put stress on the water supply hose. Now you should have enough space to proceed to the next step.
- Detach the water supply hose. Behind the washer is a hose that supplies it with water. You’ll have to turn the screws atop the clamps counterclockwise until they’re loose. There will probably be leftover water in the hose, so prepare a bucket. If the washing machine is old, detaching the hose might be difficult. In this case, use a pair of pliers to loosen them. Detach the hoses from the wall and from the back of the washing machine.
- Remove the drain hose from the drain. The drain hose is slightly trickier. Depending on your plumbing setup, it could be attached to the sink, the floor drain, or to a wall-mounted drain. Just follow where it leads to and detach it like the others. This hose could also contain leftover water, so be prepared with a bucket again.
- Prepare for the moving. Moving a washing machine is a serious business and you will need more tools than you need to install it. First, you have to secure the drum with special bolts. The hoses and power cord should be securely taped to the machine. And you will need work gloves, lifting straps and someone to help you lift the machine.
For more pointers on how to move a washing machine, check out our guide on moving large appliances.
How to install a washing machine
Now that you have found the perfect spot for your washing machine it’s time to install it. So, here is how to plumb in a washing machine:
- Bring in the new washing machine. You will need to place the washer on a dolly in order to bring it to its designated spot. We advise you to place pieces of cardboard on the floor, so you don’t scratch the floor with the dolly.
- Connect the water hose. To do this, you have to attach the hose to the back of the washing machine and twist it securely. The other end of the hose should be connected to the water pipe. You don’t need special tools for this, your hands are enough.
- Connect the drain hose. Ideally, the washing machine will reside in the kitchen close to the sink. That’s where you have to connect the drain hose. In other cases, you could connect it to a drain in the floor, or you may use a standpipe if there are no draining outlets available. If you’re using a sink, attach the plastic hose by keeping it bent downward. If you’re using a standpipe, you’ll need one with a larger diameter than the hose.
Once the hoses are attached, the water supply is switched on and you’ve plugged the washing machine in the power socket, it’s time to do a test run. Load the washer with laundry and keep a close eye on it. Make sure there are no leaks through the whole program. If there are leaks, you might have to tighten the hoses.
Need a professional handyman?
Fantastic Services is here for you!
We are certified:
How to maintain a washing machine
Now you have a perfectly working brand new washer to serve you well for at least a decade. With the right maintenance, this period could easily be extended. Here are a few good tips that can help you achieve that:
- Inspect the water supply hoses. A common reason for leaks is hose damage. To prevent this, it’s a good idea to inspect the appliance every few months. If you notice signs of damage, you’ll have to replace the hoses with new ones.
- Switch off the washing machine valve. Switch off the water supply to the washing machine whenever you’re not home for a long time. By doing this, there will be less pressure on the supply hoses and it would decrease the wear and tear.
- Install a washer drain pan. A washer drain pan is literally a pan you position under the washing machine, which is also connected to the drain. In case of a leak, instead of ending up with a huge puddle on your floor, the pan will drain the water and save you from serious water damage. The Fantastic Services team doesn’t recommend installing a drain pan by yourself if you don’t know what you’re doing. Call a professional instead.
- Don’t overload the washing machine. Overloading the washing machine with laundry could result in damage. Also, make sure to leave the door open after a wash. If you have a problem with the smell of the drum after washing your laundry, leave the door open to help with ventilation.
- Clean the interior and the dispensers. Like any other appliance, the washing machine needs to be cleaned as well. You’ll have to wipe down the drum and especially to clean the dispensers from any leftover detergent. You can also run an empty load of hot water with 2 cups of white vinegar on a full cycle. In the middle of the wash cycle, add half a cup of detergent. This will help against unpleasant odours.
Hire a reliable handyman for the job
At Fantastic Services, we pride ourselves on the professionalism of our technicians. If you have doubts about how to plumb in a washing machine properly, you can always rely on our help.
Visit the main website for price rates on our professional plumbers!More
- When you bring in a new washing machine into a brand new place, you’ll have to choose a spot with the right measurements, has a water and power supply, and is also situated in a room where temperatures don’t fall below zero.
- Installing a washing machine is easy as long as you know how to connect the cold and hot water supply hoses and the drain hose properly.
- A washing machine can live longer than the years guaranteed in your warranty, as long as you inspect the hoses regularly and don’t overload its capacity.
Installing a new washing machine is not a hard task, as long as you know what you’re doing. However, bringing the machine in is a heavy task and it’s not recommended to do this alone. And if you are experiencing any plumbing problems, the professional team of Fantastic Services is always ready to help you out.
Image source: VGstockstudio/shutterstock.com
Have you installed a washing machine by yourself before? How did it go? Share your experience in the comments!
- Last update: October 29, 2019
Posted in Plumbing Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.