- Fantastic Team
- 8min read
- Published: October 4, 2018
- Views: 1,876
How to Clean a Shower Screen
Shower screens are often forgotten when we are cleaning our bathrooms. We do the floors, the windows, the sink, but shower doors get only a small rinse in the end. This is insufficient for anyone who insists on having a sparkly clean home. But following the steps below you can clean your shower screen with zero efforts.
General cleaning tips for shower screens and doors
Most people will advise you to use products, which are specially created to clean shower screens and doors. Store-bought cleaning solutions are, of course, a proven option, as they always promise a streak-free finish and come with instructions on how to use them. But in recent years, a large number of people are ready to trust more homemade products and techniques rather than any traditional detergents. After all, natural cleaning agents are eco-friendly, affordable and efficient.
So, here are some of the best ways of how to clean your glass shower screen and door with products, which you most likely already have at home:
- Take a laundry detergent – preferably a powder one. Mix with water until you get a thick paste as a result.
- The mixture is abrasive, so make sure to test on a small area before you apply it anywhere else.
- Apply the solution to your shower screen using a soft cloth and scrub gently.
- Rinse thoroughly because all laundry detergents create a big amount of foam. To do this properly and without leaving any streaks, the best advice is to use a squeegee. You can get one at any DIY store or the cleaning sections of supermarkets.
After you are done with the cleaning, a good finishing touch would be to restore the initial shine of the shower screen. You can do this very easily with another ingredient that is widely used in cleaning despite its different original use and purpose. Of course, I’m talking about vinegar. The vinegar does miracles in cleaning, stain removal and bringing back the original state of almost every surface.
You can mix a solution of white vinegar and water, ideally in equal parts, and find a clean unused cloth. Then, spread the mixture evenly on the screen and wipe up with a dry cloth. Works great on windows, as well.
How to clean shower glass with WD-40
WD-40 is a popular product that is mainly used in cleaning. Its main function is to penetrate oil and displace water. The spray is widely known for its cleaning properties that work on almost every surface. People use it to clean their vehicles and to protect the metal from rust and corrosion.
Here are the steps you have to follow to clean your shower doors with WD-40:
- Open your shower door and spray a thin coat of WD-40 over the surface.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes to work its magic and then, wipe the door with a clean soft cloth.
- If there is still some residue left, repeat the process but let it work for a little bit longer than the first time. Use a non-scratching cloth to try and scrub the rest off.
- Lastly, get another clean cloth and wipe the door. When using WD-40, there is no need to rinse. The properties of the product will take care of everything without leaving any streaks.
- Clean the floor from any splashes, as the cleaning agent can leave it slippery and dangerous.
How to remove limescale from shower screens
If you live in a hard water region, you are probably painfully familiar with limescale. Also known as Calcium Scale, this is a hard, dirty-white substance that is mostly found on the metallic parts of water operating machinery, kitchen and bathroom or kitchen fixtures and surfaces. This deposit is caused by the minerals leached from the water. Limescale needs to be cleaned regularly to prevent a buildup on surfaces and insides. The scaly substance also accumulates on shower screens and doors as they get wet all the time. And the longer the scale stays and is not cleaned, the harder it gets to remove it. One of the most preferred ways to clean it, using household products, is with vinegar. As mentioned above, this godly substance can take care of almost everything. This is how you can use it to clean limescale from your shower glass:
- Heat up one cup of vinegar on the stove and remove it just before it reaches boiling point.
- Put the gloves on, so you don’t get burned and take the vinegar to the shower.
- Dip a microfiber cloth into the substance and wipe the door, starting with the places where most of the limescale has built up. You may have to rub the most stubborn areas but do it carefully, so you don’t scratch the surface.
- Leave the vinegar to do its magic for around 30 minutes.
- Take the cloth or sponge that you’ve been using before, rinse it and sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda on it. After that, apply to the shower screen, again, paying more attention to certain areas.
- Pour the bottled water to rinse the door and repeat the scrubbing process with the soda if it’s needed.
A good way to sustain the impressive condition of your shower door or screen is to spray some vinegar after each use to prevent limescale from building up in the future. You can follow that rule when it comes to removing limescale from your bathroom tiles and grout as well.
How to clean shower screen seal
The rubber seal of the shower doors is the place where most of the residue and hard-water deposits tend to build up. All the shampoo, soap and everything else that we use in the shower, love to find a permanent home there. Our personal hygiene products, mixed with limescale, form a substance, called soap scum, which can promote mould and mildew growth, once it accumulates on the rubber surface. But of course, they are not impossible to get rid of, so here we will show you how to properly clean the rubber seal of your shower door using common household products.
First, you need to gather everything listed below:
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 cup of bleach
- Baking soda
- A bucket
- A sponge or a cloth
- Rubber gloves
- Old toothbrush
And now, the steps you need to follow when cleaning your shower screen seal:
- Mix the bleach with hot water in a bucket and stir well.
- Dip the toothbrush in the solution and start scrubbing the seal, starting with the places where most of the residue has settled in. You can move the seal around to clean every bit but always be careful not to break or peel it off its holder.
- When you are done, rinse off with the showerhead or use the sponge/cloth. Make sure that you remove all the bleach and grime from the surface.
- If you’re not entirely happy with the outcome, you can safely use the baking soda after the bleach.
- You can make a thick paste by mixing the soda with water and again, with the toothbrush, simply scrub the leftover residue. Rinse when you are happy with the results.
- As a finishing touch, take that miraculous vinegar and mix with a cup of lukewarm water. Dip a sponge or a cloth in the solution and go over the seal to remove the odour from the chemicals and to give the surface a nice, shiny look.
In the end, the most important thing to learn is that to clean your shower screen you don’t need a counter full of detergents, each of them with a different use. You can always resort to various multifunctional household products like baking soda, vinegar and bleach, as they are just as good when it comes to cleaning shower screens, doors and seals. Still, taking care of the task properly can be a very tedious job and not everybody has the time and desire to do it. Luckily, you can always count on Fantastic Services, as our professional one-off deep cleaning service includes expert bathroom cleaning solutions, as well. Check out our domestic cleaning cost guide to learn more about the benefits that you get when booking us and the affordable rates we offer.
Get a quote and check out our real-time availability right here!
Need to clean your bathroom?
Arrange a professional visit with us!
We are certified:
Did you find this post helpful? Then, why not share it on your socials? Or maybe, you’ve got other tips on how to clean a shower screen, which you can tell us about in the comments below? We’d love to hear them!
- Last update: May 14, 2019
Posted in Cleaning Guides
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.