- Fantastic Team
- 5min read
- Published: August 30, 2019
- Views: 443
How to Fix a Squeaky House Window
Imagine spending your weekend at home, enjoying a cool autumn day. You open a window to let some air in and notice this annoying squeaky sound. It comes back again when you slide the window down. And it keeps getting noisier and noisier each time you open or close the window. If that wasn’t enough, opening and closing the window is getting slightly more difficult with each attempt.
In this blog post, the Fantastic Services team will explain the possible causes and solutions for a squeaky house window. This is for all of you who wish to get rid of this unpleasant distraction on your day off. And in the process, also fix an issue that is about to damage your window.
What causes a squeaky house window?
The problem comes from the hinges of the window. It’s quite normal for them to produce a squeaking sound after some time. The main reason for that is dust particles grinding between them that causes friction upon opening and closing the window. With, some rust might begin to form and contribute to the problem. Thus, the sound appears, and opening and closing the window becomes harder.
How to fix a squeaky house window
Now that you know the number one cause of a squeaky sliding window, it’s time to do something about it. Make sure you have at least half a day to deal with this. Here is how you can fix a squeaky window on your own.
- Remove the squeaky window. Depending on the state of the wheel of your sliding window, you might find some difficulty to do this. You’ll need to push the window up first and then you’ll be able to pull it out from the bottom.
- Examine the wheels. Make sure that there isn’t a significant problem with the wheels, like broken parts or degeneration. If there isn’t, all you have to do is clean the rust. If there is, you’ll need to change the damaged wheels.
- Replace the damaged wheels. Use a flat-head screwdriver to remove the screws that keep the wheels attached. The rustier they are, the easier it would be to pry them out. Go to your local home improvement store with the old wheels and buy the exact same ones. To install the new wheel, you’ll just have to screw them in place. If there is any leftover rust, you might have to clean it up, before that.
- Clean the window tracks. Even after you change the wheels, it’s still possible that the window will stay squeaky. It’s most probably caused due to leftover rust on the window tracks. So, your next step is to clean up the tracks. Use a mild cleaning detergent and a soft cloth for the job. After you’re done, don’t forget to dry the tracks with a soft dry cloth.
- Lubricate the window. Before you put the window back in its place, you should lubricate the window tracks in order to eliminate the squeaking noise once and for all. Use a standard spray lubricant that is compatible with rubber, vinyl, plastic, aluminium, wood, and metal surfaces. Let it sit for a few minutes before placing the window back to its place and test the result. The squeaking noise should be gone.
Need a professional handyman?
Fantastic Services is here for you!
We are certified:
How to clean rust off windows
It’s not possible to completely avoid rust when it comes to window frames, so you have to take precautions as to not to let it build up and cause additional damage. For this, you should make it a habit to regularly clean your windows and examine for signs of rust.
- Clean the aluminium window frames. Your window frames can catch rust, just like your window tracks, so it’s important to clean them as well. This is most often caused by extended contact with water. If you catch them early enough, you could completely remove all traces of rust. Just ball up a piece of aluminium foil and scrub over the problematic spots.
- Use a pad of wire wool. Another way to clean up rust is to use a pad of wire wool and scrub the rusty spot. However, try to keep the wire from scratching any unaffected area, as it’s possible for it to damage the window frame.
- Deal with established rust. Rust that has been eating a spot in the metal for a while is called established rust. As a result, you will notice how parts of the surface are breaking in flakes. To clear this, you will need a wire brush and a commercial rust remover. Once you apply the commercial product, you would have to brush it away later.
- Clean rust from the glass. Rust can also get to the glass if left unattended long enough. To clean it up, apply a small amount of dishwashing detergent to the rust stain and rub with a clean cloth. If that’s not enough, you could try superfine steel wool over the rusty spot. Don’t press too hard so you don’t damage the glass. Then, rinse the area and dry it with a clean cloth.
- Prevent rust build-up. Rus is not hard to remove. Even established rust is easy if you have a commercial rust cleaner. However, the best remedy is prevention. So, the best thing you can do for your sliding windows is to clean them regularly and apply lubricant on the wheel tracks, so they won’t produce any squeaky sound.
Rely on the professional handyman from Fantastic Services
Fixing a squeaky window is not a hard task to complete. However, as simple as it is, you don’t always have the time or desire to deal with it on your day off. In these cases, relying on a professional is a good idea. The reliable handymen from Fantastic Services are always ready to aid you in your time of need.
Visit the main website for price rates on our professional handymen!More
- The common cause of a squeaking window is rust build up;
- If left unchecked, a squeaky window issue could escalate into severe window damage and force you to replace your window altogether;
- Regular cleaning and lubrication prevents rust and extends the life of your sliding window.
As you’ve seen, fixing a squeaky window is not a hard task and with the proper regular maintenance, you won’t have to worry about encountering this problem again. There could always be an unwanted complication that would require you to completely replace the window. And if that time comes, the Fantastic Services team will be here to help you.
Image source: S_Photo/shutterstock.com
Did you deal with a squeaky window recently? How did you fix it? Tell us in the comments!
- Last update: October 2, 2019
Posted in Home Improvement
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.