- Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: August 28, 2019
- Views: 44
How To Have The Best Lawn – Lay Turf Or Use Grass Seed?
A beautiful lawn can transform the landscape of any property. It makes it look complete and contributes to the entire outdoor area. When it comes to turfing your lawn, your options vary. Their pros and cons should be very well considered so that you can make your choice with confidence. What type of turf or grass seed should you get? How much ground preparation for laying turf will be necessary? If you are interested in finding out what’s the best way to have a beautiful lawn and more, keep reading.
This post is for:
- People craving the perfect lawn;
- Anyone in between artificial and real grass;
- People that can’t decide between grass seeds and turf.
Pros and cons of real turf
How beneficial is it to lay real turf in your garden?
One of the greatest benefits of turfing your lawn with real grass is that it’s one of the fastest ways to repair bare patches in your backyard or transform the area completely. It doesn’t take very long to lay the turf rolls and by the time you are done, your garden will have a new look. The most prominent turfing advantages include:
- Instant transformation – As soon as you’ve laid the turf rolls, edged and watered your new lawn, your garden will look great immediately.
- Quick establishment – It takes about 2 or 3 weeks for the roots to grow into the soil. Your new lawn will then be ready for foot traffic.
- Environmentally-friendly – Real turf refreshes the air by enriching it with oxygen.
If you are interested in finding out how to level a garden before turfing, check out our detailed blog post for more useful information.
What are the disadvantages that real turf has?
The disadvantages of turfing your lawn are just as important to consider. For your convenience, we’ve listed the most important ones:
- Overall price – The final cost of turfing your garden may be on the expensive side, especially if your outdoor space is rather large. For smaller gardens, this may not be an issue, but it sure is for the larger ones.
- Installation – It’s essential to install the turf rolls right upon delivery in order to maintain their green look. Otherwise, the turf will lose its great appearance quickly and you won’t end up with a beautiful lawn.
- Needs regular maintenance – This is probably the most important real turf laying disadvantage. When wondering if real turf is appropriate for you, keep in mind the weekly garden chores that it will involve. Lawn mowing, fertilising and watering, as well as weed removal, are all tasks that will require your attention. If you are not into spending your Sunday taking care of your lawn but still want to enjoy real turf, hire professional gardeners who will handle the lawn maintenance for you.
Need professional garden maintenance?
Hurry up and book your service!
We are certified:
Artificial grass – advantages and disadvantages
Pros of artificial grass
If you are not willing to wait for a couple of weeks for your real turf to establish, then go for artificial grass installation. Below you’ll find some of the most important fake turf advantages one should think about before investing in artificial grass installation:
- Low maintenance – By installing fake turf, you won’t have to water, fertilise, or mow your lawn anymore. Instead, you’ll be enjoying a green backyard 365 days a year. Your water bills will decrease dramatically, which makes artificial grass a budget-friendly alternative to real grass. Yet, there’s minimum care you should provide your fake grass with. This makes it perfect for travellers, renters, or people with busy lifestyles as well as ones who are unable to tackle regular lawn mowing and maintenance.
- No use of harmful chemicals – Bugs will no longer be a problem you’ll have to face. Therefore, the use of pesticides won’t be necessary. So fake turf is also an eco-friendly option for you.
- Durability – Among the greatest fake turf benefits are its long-lasting characteristics. Fake lawns don’t only resemble real grass, but they can also withstand various temperatures without losing their lush appearance.
Cons of artificial grass
Even though it’s a low maintenance approach to having a new lawn, the cons of artificial grass are important. Here is a short list of the drawbacks of artificial turf you should be aware of:
- Heat retention – Artificial grass can get really warm to walk on on hot summer days, unlike natural turf.
- Price – Due to the wide range of varieties, high-quality artificial grass can be rather expensive to install.
- It’s not pet-friendly – Another downside of artificial grass is the fact that it isn’t appropriate for dogs and cats. Fake turf is not a surface that can absorb pet waste, even though it is permeable. Therefore, you should always make sure to clean after your pets.
Benefits and drawbacks of grass seed
Using grass seed for lawn establishment in your outdoor area is your third option. It is a long process, though, as it will take several weeks until new grass starts to actually grow. Yet, if you decide to go for this approach, you’d better examine the entire outdoor area you are intending to work on. Make sure to get rid of any weeds and unwanted vegetation before you move on to spreading the grass seeds all over your garden. The pros and cons of grass seeds are important to keep in mind as they will help you make up your mind and those include the following:
Pros and cons of seeding your lawn:
- It’s budget-friendly.
- Lots of grass seed options to choose from.
- Grasses tend to establish in the same place.
- It takes a long time to establish a new lawn.
- Bad weather and heavy rain can wash the seeds out.
- Frequent watering and attention are required during seed establishment.
- Real turf and artificial grass give you an instant lawn transformation.
- Grass takes time to settle and establish before it’s ready to walk on real turf or seeded lawn.
- All three approaches require maintenance and attention.
Image source: depositphotos / victorburnside
Now that you know the pros and cons of the approaches above, which one are you going to choose? We’d love to find out in the comments below!
- Last update: August 29, 2019
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.
Join the Fan List!
The only home improvement newsletter you will ever need!