- Fantastic Team
- 4min read
- Published: June 25, 2020
- Views: 42
How to Read Gas Smart Meter
By 2020, most British homes should have installed smart meters at home. If you’re one of the last ones to get it, you’re probably wondering how to read a gas smart meter. Well, don’t worry! Because the Fantastic Services team is here to explain how to read this sci-fi contraption and how to ultimately make your home more energy-efficient.
This article is for anyone who:
- Owns a gas smart meter;
- Wants to learn how to read a gas smart meter;
- Wants to learn how to read a smart electric meter.
What is a smart meter?
Smart meters are two separate electronic devices that measure gas and electricity consumption and show how much you’re using in pounds and pence. Additionally, every home gets an in-home display that gives you all the information you need about your gas and energy consumption.
The job of these three electronics is to automatically send all meter readings to your energy and gas supplier, so you don’t have to do it yourself. They typically record hourly measurements and report daily.
Why should you take smart meter readings?
In general, there is no need for you to take readings if you own a smart meter. However, checking your smart meter once in a while is beneficial, as it provides a more accurate measurement of energy consumption and puts you in charge of your own usage and its cost. Plus, it’s extremely easy.
Is your gas smart meter measuring inefficient gas consumption?
It could be a problem with your gas boiler!
How to read a gas smart meter
Your gas meter starts at 0 on the day it was installed. Note that your smart meter readings won’t follow on from the last reading you took on your old meter. Find the place where your gas meter is installed. Notice we’re not talking about the in-home display, but the electronic device that does all the work! There is only one type of gas smart meter. To take a reading you have to:
- Press 9 once on the keypad.
- The display will first show the word VOLUME.
- After that, it will give you your reading.
- Take the reading by looking at the five numbers from left to right.
- Ignore the number after the decimal point.
How to read a smart electric meter
To take readings from your smart electricity meter, once again, look at the device and not the in-house display. There are two types of smart electricity meters – single rate smart meters and Economy 7 smart meters (also known as two-rate meters).
- If you have a single rate smart electricity meter, press 9 on the keypad. The display will first show IMP KWH, and later show you the meter readings you need. Read the numbers from left to right, without the numbers after the decimal point.
- If you have an Economy 7 smart electricity meter, you’ll have to take two readings – LOW for the night and NORMAL for the day.
- To take a low (night) reading, press 6 multiple times, until you see IMP R01 (sometimes it could be IMP L), followed by your reading. Again, take the numbers from left to right, excluding anything that comes after the decimal point.
- To take a normal (day) reading, press 6 multiple times, until you see IMP R02 (sometimes it could be IMP N), followed by your reading. Take the numbers from left to right, without the numbers after the decimal point.
Do you need professional help?
Now you know how to read а gas smart meter, and you can stay in control of your gas and energy consumption. There are a lot of things that could go wrong with your gas boiler, or heating system. Remember, to keep your home efficient, and not get higher bills, you need to make sure your gas and electricity appliances are in top working order. If you have a wiring problem or something doesn’t seem to be right with your gas boiler or heating system, don’t hesitate to seek help from the boiler technicians at Fantastic Services.
Visit the main website for price rates for our professional boiler technicians!More
- You don’t need to take readings on your smart meters, as the readings get automatically sent to your provider;
- If you want to take gas meter readings, just press 9 on the keypad and you’ll see them;
- If you want to take electricity meter readings, find out if your electric smart meter is a single rate, or Economy 7 (two-rate).
- If you own a single rate smart electricity meter, press 9 on the keypad and you’ll see your reading;
- If you own an Economy 7 smart electricity meter, press 6 multiple times to get your night reading. Then press 6 multiple times again, to get your day reading.
Do you have a smart meter at your home? How has it improved your life? Tell us in the comments!
Image source: nullplus/shutterstock.com
Posted in Plumbing Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.