- Fantastic Team
- 7min read
- Published: November 28, 2018
- Views: 8,588
7 Ways to Remove Tea Stains from Carpet
Ah, tea. You, wonderful concoction of warmth, energy, and love. What would we do without you? Thoughts like these quickly disappear, as soon as your dog decides to run through the coffee table and relocate this wonderful liquid from your cups to the carpet. One second you are enjoying the afternoon and the other, you are in a state of aftershock. Not only is the tea gone, but it’s on the carpet as well. Luckily, you can pour another cup and, just as easy, you can also clean the stain with the tips and tricks we have prepared for you.
So, if you:
- Have accidentally spilled tea on your carpet;
- Are struggling to remove the stain;
- Are looking for different ways to clean it up,
Then read on! This post is for you.
Before we show you how to clean tea stains from carpets and rugs, let’s have a little lesson about tea:
Why does tea leave stains on carpets?
You’ve probably noticed how hard it is to clean your cups from tea stains. If the cup is not washed regularly, the stain builds up and after time, it’s impossible to remove. When tea ends up on a carpet or a piece of fabric, it also leaves it with a stain.
The main reason is called Tannin. Its compounds are widely spread in all kinds of different plants, which we use to make tea from. It protects the plants and is also the reason why your mouth feels dry and puckery after eating unripened fruit, red wine or tea. Tannin is used as the main ingredient in many leather dyes and in ink, as well. This is why tea is very quick to penetrate any surface and settle in for a long time.
A good start, when it comes to cleaning, is to act immediately when a spill occurs. You should also wash your cups after each use.
The proper ways to clean tea stains on carpets
According to the “UK Tea & Infusions Association”, British people drink around 165 million cups of tea daily. No matter if it’s black tea, green tea, peppermint or herbal, with milk or without. We just love our tea. So naturally, there are many stains that occur each day. But don’t worry because for all of you, tea lovers, we have gathered the best ways to clean tea stains from carpets using mostly household products.
And for people, who managed to spill some milk before pouring it into their tea, you can check our tips on how to clean milk stains and remove the sour smell.
How to remove a tea stain from carpet with baking soda
You’ll need: one cup of baking soda, a damp cloth or an absorbent pad, a bowl.
- Pour one cup of baking soda into a bowl.
- Grab a damp cloth and dip it into the baking soda.
- Press the cloth coated with baking soda firmly around the stained area of the carpet.
- Rinse well with cold water.
- Repeat the first two steps until you are satisfied with the results.
- Give the area a final rinse with cold water and dry it with another clean cloth.
How to clean a tea stain from carpet by using salt
You’ll need: one cup of salt, an absorbent pad, one glass of club soda.
- Absorb as much of the liquid as you can with the pad.
- Pour enough salt over the stain to fully cover it.
- Pour on a bit of club soda. Be careful not to oversaturate the carpet.
- Repeat until you are satisfied with the results.
- Rinse with cold water and let it air dry.
How to remove a tea stain from carpet using vinegar
Time needed: 20 minutes.
You’ll need: distilled white vinegar, a spray bottle, a clean cloth, warm water.
- Mix a 1:2 solution of white vinegar and lukewarm water.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution over the tea stain.
- Gently rub it into the carpet fibres with a cloth.
- Repeat if needed.
- Finally, rinse with cold water.
How to remove tea stains from carpet by using dish soap
You’ll need: one tablespoon of of dish soap, white vinegar, warm water, a microfibre cloth, and a sponge.
- Blot the stain as much as you can with a damp cloth.
- Mix a solution of 1 tablespoon of dish soap, distilled white vinegar and 2 cups of lukewarm water.
- Apply the mixture to the stain and gently scrub with the microfibre cloth until the area is clean.
- Repeat until satisfied.
- Rinse the solution with a cold wet sponge.
- Blot it dry with another cloth.
Dish soap is another product with secret abilities to clean almost everything from anything. Clothes, blankets, shower screens, windows and all kinds of stains. You can even use it to remove paint from your carpet
How to get a tea stain off carpet using borax
You’ll need: a bit of borax, water, a toothbrush, a vacuum cleaner, and a dry clean cloth.
- Make a paste of 3 parts borax and 1 part warm water.
- Dip the toothbrush in the paste.
- Scrub gently the affected area.
- Leave the mixture to dry on the carpet.
- Vacuum the leftover residue.
- Rinse with cold water when you’re done and soak up with the cloth.
Did you know: Discovered in the dry lakes of Tibet during the 8th century AD, borax has been used widely by people, mostly for laundry purposes. In the following years, more and more of the substance’s properties were discovered, in cleaning and pest control, as well. So, it’s no surprise that you can use it to remove tea stains from carpets, too..
How to remove tea stains with a commercial carpet stain remover
You’ll need: a suitable carpet cleaning detergent, a couple of rags.
- Blot the stained area using a clean rag. Absorb as much of the liquid as you can.
- Pour a bit of lukewarm water over the area to dilute the stain.
- Spray the detergent directly onto it.
- Leave the product for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Repeat if the stain is still visible after drying out.
If you are not confident enough to try the above methods, you can always turn to the detergents made especially for removing stains. However, make sure you always read the label of the product. Choose a detergent suitable for your carpet or you risk damaging the fibres.
Professional carpet cleaning
The safest way to act when you have a stain is to trust a professional carpet cleaning technician.
We provide our carpet cleaning solutions by applying the Hot Water Extraction method or by employing an effective dry cleaning technique for more delicate fabrics. The hot water extraction method pays special attention to the stains and works on most carpets. The technician will first pre-treat the area with a suitable detergent and after that, he will use the carpet cleaning machine. A cleaning solution is injected into the carpet and after that, it is extracted along with the water and the dirt.
You will have your carpet not only stain free but also looking and smelling fresh and clean. You can use our online booking form to check out the availability and prices. Just click right here!
Let the carpet cleaners take care of that tea stain. Click more to learn about our services and rates.more
- Tea stains are hard to remove due to a component called Tannin.
- You should clean up tea spills right away.
- Most tea stains can be removed with household products.
- If using detergents, make sure to read the label to avoid damaging the carpet fibres.
- Always test the chosen cleaning product on an inconspicuous area first.
Did you enjoy this article? Do you have any tips and tricks on removing tea stains? Let us know in the comments below!
No matter of the cleaning method, remember to always do a small spot test on hidden part of your carpet. Depending on the size, nature, and age of the stain, some of them might be impossible to remove. We cannot take responsibility if any of the above-mentioned methods do not work on your carpets.
Header image source: Depositphotos / gresey
- Last update: November 15, 2019
Posted in Carpet Cleaning Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.