- Fantastic Team
- 4min read
- Published: October 24, 2019
- Views: 1,765
How to Grow Nordmann Fir Trees
It’s Christmas tree hunting time! Since holidays are behind the corner, it’s time to get started with the festive preparations. The first thing on your to-do list is to choose your new Christmas tree. As soon as you decide what kind of tree you want – a real or an artificial one, the fun part begins – choosing and decorating it!
What is a Nordmann Fir?
Nordmann Fir is the most popular Christmas tree in Britain. It is a slow-growing tree which can take up to 10 years to get about 2 metres tall before it gets cut. Perhaps you are wondering how tall a Nordmann Fir can grow. Well, if the tree is left to grow, it can get up to 60 metres tall and 2 metres wide.
This type of fir tree can be found in the mountains of Turkey, Georgia, the Russian Caucasus and even on the south and east parts of the Black Sea. Nordmann Fir grows in regions at 900-2,200 metres altitude and more than 1000 mm of rainfall.
The tree is very distinguishable in appearance, due to the fact that it has a perfectly symmetrical shape and glossy dark-green needles. Despite the fact that the Nordmann Fir’s leaves are called “needles”, they are actually quite soft to the touch, which makes the tree easy to decorate. Their soft foliage also makes it child- and pet-friendly.
And if you are wondering whether Nordmann Fir Christmas trees smell nice, the answer is yes. This type of fir has a specific low natural scent that can perfectly accompany the Christmas atmosphere in your home.
Nordmann Fir’s needles have a wax coating which stops allergy-inducing elements from spreading into the air. This major advantage makes the tree ideal for people suffering from various allergies.
How long can a Nordmann Fir tree survive?
This depends on how well you take care of it. Normally, cut Christmas trees last up to four to six weeks. Another thing that makes it so exceptional is the fact that Nordmann Fir Christmas trees are non-drop.
As a matter of fact, the Nordmann Fir is known to have second-to-none needle retention. In other words, you don’t have to worry about loads of fallen needles on top of your Christmas presents and under your Christmas tree. This is just one of the Nordmann Fir benefits that you get with its purchase.
Are you looking for the best Christmas tree?
Order your real Nordmann Fir now!
We are certified:
How to Grow Nordmann Fir Trees
Growing your own Christmas tree in your garden will make your Christmas magical. Here is all you need to know about growing your own Nordmann Fir tree:
- Choose the right spot. Do this before you purchase your tree. The spot will serve as an orientation to how large your tree should grow.
- Prune. The tree will need pruning at a certain moment so don’t plant it near house foundations or anywhere around wires.
- Have the right soil. Remember that the Nordmann Fir’s soil requirements are very specific. The tree demands moisture and good drainage.
- Plant your tree. Dig a hole and place your tree deep enough so that it’s at the same level as it is in the container. It should be about 30 centimetres wider than your tree’s root spread.
- Fill the hole with mulch. This will improve the soil’s texture, keep moisture from evaporating and discourage weeds.
- Remove the mulch. In January or February remove the mulch and fill the hole with soil.
Check out our fantastic Christmas tree delivery and installation services now!More
Caring for a Nordmann Fir Tree
If you’ve decided to place your Christmas tree indoors, you should know how to take proper care of it. Every plant has its own special requirements and the Nordmann Fir is no exception. Here are a few very simple tips on how to preserve a Nordmann Fir Christmas tree around the holidays:
- Cut the stem. Once your supplier delivers your Nordmann Fir Christmas tree, use a saw to cut about 5 centimetres of the stem.
- Put the tree in a container full of water right away. Make sure to keep your tree hydrated with water. You don’t need to add any commercially made mixes to it.
- Monitor the container. You have to make sure to always have water in contact with the stem.
- Avoid heat sources. Never place your tree near heat sources such as a fireplace, electric heaters, air conditioners, etc.
Real Christmas Trees Benefits
Nothing can beat the look and scent of a live Christmas tree. It just has that unreplaceable holiday vibe. If you’re still wondering whether you should get a real Christmas tree this year, here are benefits which can help you decide:
- Unforgettable natural scent and green colour.
- Numerous variations on the market.
- Buying from a Christmas tree farm provides new job positions.
- It’s the traditional choice people go for.
- A Nordmann Fir Tree is the most popular type of live Christmas tree in Britain because of its aesthetic appearance and nice fragrance;
- A Nordmann Fir Tree is easy to grow in the yard, just make sure you have the right spot for it;
- If you bring a Nordmann Fir Tree indoors, make sure to place it in a water container and keep it away from heat sources.
Christmas is the holiday we all love and can’t wait for. However, sometimes it can become quite stressful, especially when it comes to preparation. That’s why we advise you to start early and why not with the purchase of your Nordmann Fir Christmas tree? Think ahead so you can fully enjoy your favourite holiday this season. Happy tree hunting!
Image source: TANAGRITYE/shutterstock.com
Do you buy real or artificial Christmas trees? Have you ever grown a real Nordmann Fir Christmas tree? Tell us in the comments!
- Last update: November 6, 2019
Posted in Garden Advice
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.