- Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: September 14, 2018
- Views: 278
Is Your House Haunted or Just Draughty?
During this spooktacular season, the barrier between the land of the living and the land of the dead is said to be at its weakest. This allows spirits to exert more influence over the physical world and you may notice an increase in strange happenings throughout your house.
But it is also the season of dark, stormy nights and eerie shadows. Here’s how to tell if you have supernatural visitors or your home is just a bit draughty.
What causes hauntings and draughts?
Although there is no definitive proof that ghosts exist, there are multiple theories as to what can cause haunting and most of us are familiar with them due to the popularity of the subject in film and television. The main causes of uninvited otherworldly guests include, but are not limited to:
- A death in the property;
- Disturbing an ancient burial ground;
- Unresolved issues;
- Residual strong emotions such as betrayal or anger;
- General mischievousness or curiosity;
On the other hand, there is a literal mountain of evidence pointing to the existence of draughts (we checked, and one of our Fantastic Handymen does have a mountain of scientific papers about draughts, we don’t know why, either).
The cause of a draught is a little easier to pinpoint than the cause of haunting, draughts are currents of cold air blowing through a room from an open or damaged window, door, or vent.
Find a Professional Handyman! We are certified:
Find a Professional Handyman!
We are certified:
Signs That Your Home is Haunted or Draughty
Before you spread sea-salt around your home or call in the local priest, make sure you know what you are dealing with, a ghost or a convincing ghost-like draught.
Signs of haunting
- Unexplained shadows. Usually seen from the corner of our eye, these shadowy apparitions can take on a humanoid or animal shape and will often disappear when looked at directly.
- Cold spots. Random cold spots in rooms have long been an indicator of ghostly activity, many victims claim that standing in these spots can also cause strong feelings of uneasiness.
- Strange noises. These could be footsteps, indistinct voices or whispering, knocking, and scratching.
- Moving or disappearing items. For some reason, ghosts like to move or misplace our belongings, such as a photograph being turned to the wall or worse yet is the sudden appearance of an antique doll at the end of your bed.
- Flickering lights. Another way ghosts like to make their presence known is by messing with our lights, flickering bulbs can be a sign of supernatural morse-code signalling or that you should call an electrician.
- Pets behaving oddly. According to some experts in the occult, cats and dogs have the ability to see or sense ghosts. If your beloved companion suddenly starts staring, barking, or hissing at an empty space, there may be paranormal activity in your home.
- A feeling of being watched. We have all experienced the instinctual feeling that we are being watched. Most of the time, this is alright as someone is probably looking at you but when you are alone at home and feel that someone is watching you from the dark, it might be your imagination or it could be a ghost.
- Doors and cupboards opening or closing on their own. Maybe, ghosts like to snack, maybe, they just like to scare and annoy us. Whatever the reason is, ghosts will often open doors, slam cupboard doors, or leave all of your kitchen drawers open.
Signs of draught
- Unexplained shadows. Draughts can easily move curtains, blinds, lampshades, and other hanging items and materials, which can cast strange-looking shadows.
- Cold spots. Random cold spots can be formed in areas close to the origin of the draught.
- Strange noises. The wind and draughts are very good at tricking our hearing as it passes around or through certain objects, the strength of the draught can also affect how our brain interprets the sound.
- Moving or disappearing items. If a draught is strong enough it is possible that an item could be knocked over, or your spooked pet might do a mad dash around the house and knock down everything in its path.
- Pets behaving oddly. Animals are weird and do inexplicable things every day, but a draught can catch the attention of a pet by carrying a new scent, making odd noises, or by simply changing the ambient temperature.
- Doors and cupboards opening or closing on their own. Strong draughts can cause doors and cupboards to seemingly open, close, or rattle on their own.
How to fix a draught problem
If you don’t believe in ghosts, or just think that draught is the more likely cause for your spooky trouble,s keep reading to learn how to find and fix that draught issue.
- Locate the source of the draught. One of the easiest ways to find a draught is by using a lit candle, walk around your home with the candle and if the flame flickers or goes out there could be a draught nearby.
- Check the windows and doors. Slowly run your hand along the window frame and try to feel if there’s a breeze, do the same with door frames.
- Draughty windows. This type of draught can be fixed by repairing any gaps in the sealing, by installing weather strips, or ideally by replacing the windows. A less expensive option is to use long curtains, made from a thick and heavy material.
- Draughty doors. Replacing old doors and door frames is the best option but you can also install weatherstrips along the interior side of the frame, or install a draught excluder at the bottom of the door.
- Draughty fireplaces. Since chimneys are draughty by design, the best way to stop fireplace draughts is to cover them properly when not in use.
- Draughty attics. The attic is where most of the heat in your house is lost, so make sure that you have adequate insulation in the attic, which will stop most draughts.
How to get rid of a ghost
If you have ruled out every other possibility and are convinced that your home has been haunted, there are ways of getting rid of the pesky intruder.
- Stand your ground. You may feel foolish speaking to an empty room but your ghost might just be lonely and might not be aware that it is scaring you. Politely ask the ghost to leave, using the same tone as you would scold a small child or a pet. Explain that you live here now and that they should move on as they are already dead, be firm but kind when informing them that their behaviour is disruptive and not welcomed.
- Conduct an exorcism. If asking the ghost to leave did not work, or their behaviour got worse after your conversation about crossing the boundaries, it may be time to call in the experts. Ordained spiritual leaders from most religions will be happy to help exorcise a ghost or perform a cleansing ritual in your home, it doesn’t matter to the ghost which religion the priest is from – all that matters is the strength of your faith.
- Cleanse the entire house to stop the ghost from returning and to stop others from moving too. Start by cleaning your home, this should be done to the same level as spring cleaning. Burn sage, Cedar, or another type of incense. The burning of certain herbs or various incenses has been a method of guarding against and appeasing ghosts for millennia and is considered to be a purifying act in many cultures.
- Ring a bell in each corner of your home. Following an exorcism or a similar cleansing ritual, it is important to dispel the negative energy that has built up. Ringing a bell in each corner of your home several times helps to clear away negative energy while attracting positive energy.
- Maintain a regular cleaning schedule. The cleanliness of your home directly affects the accumulation of positive and negative energy. Keeping your home clean stops negative energy from building up and encourages the circulation of positive energy.
So, there you know now, how to tell if your home is haunted or it is just draughty. Regardless of what you believe, keeping your home draught-free will keep you warmer as well as will lower your bills. Also, it is always recommended to clean regularly, as we could all benefit from bringing a little more positivity into our lives.
Did we miss anything? Do you have any tips for fixing draughts or getting rid of ghosts? Let us know by commenting below or give us a shout on social media!
- Last update: August 8, 2019
Posted in Home Improvement
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.