- Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: September 10, 2019
- Views: 22
Moving to Liverpool: The Basics
Want to move but can’t fully decide on a city? There are a lot of awesome areas in the UK, all of them having their own unique history, architecture, culture, and overall individual charm. That being said, in this article, we are going to talk about a very special part of the UK, one that happens to be a home both to The Beatles and one of the country’s best football teams. Yup, you guessed it right:
Below you’ll find information about the advantages and disadvantages of living in Liverpool, a few boring, but still important statistics, and a lot of interesting facts about the city.
Basic information about the city
Before we get to the fun part, we need to cover some fundamentals about Liverpool:
- The city is located in North West England
- This area is a metropolitan borough and it’s the fifth-largest in the UK
- In terms of population, 494,814 people inhabit Liverpool
- The city area is 43.2 sq miles and the urban part is 77.1 sq miles
- People from Liverpool are called either Liverpudlians or Scousers
Why consider moving to Liverpool
One of the main reasons behind most people’s decision to move to Liverpool is that it’s a fairly cheap city to live in, especially if you compare it to London. Property rents are considerably lowеr, even in the city centre. If you want more in-depth information about the cost of living in Liverpool, you can check out our guide covering the topic.
If you happen to be a future student looking for a good university, Liverpool is full of them. For example, Liverpool University offers every course you can imagine – from Marketing, Communication and Media to Astrophysics. Then, there is Hope University where you can study Art History, Graphic Design, Drama and Film. And let’s not forget about Edge Hill University and John Moores University – both boasting an exceptional track record.
Another good reason to consider relocating to Liverpool is the awesome job opportunities that you can find there. For example, last year were created more than 10,000 openings all across the different work sectors. Yes, the average wage is a bit lower than in other parts of the country, but living in Liverpool is also a lot cheaper. Overall, the city has a very strong economy.
Interesting facts about the city
You will be surprised at what a rich history Liverpool has. For instance, did you know that this city has more museums and art galleries than anywhere else outside the capital? And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Here are a few more interesting facts about the city that can make living in Liverpool sound like an even better idea:
- The city holds Тhe Guinness Book of Records title for being the Capital of Pop. Ughm… “The Beatles”.
- This one is for all of you, football fans out there: Liverpool is the most successful football city in the whole UK. Thanks to Liverpool and Everton, the city can take pride in the winning of many EU and UK cups and championships.
- Another interesting fact is that the first passenger railway line was created to connect Liverpool and Manchester in 1830.
- There is a big chance for yоu to walk by a film set in Liverpool. Many famous movies were shot in Liverpool like “Harry Potter”, “Sherlock Holmes”, and “Captain America”.
- There is a rivalry between Liverpool and Manchester since the Victorian era. It began after the Manchester Ship Canal was built. Nowadays, it is not as pronounced as it used to be, but it’s still there.
Things you’ll discover after moving to Liverpool
People are different in each city and have their own unique ways of doing things. Here are the bizarre things that you may encounter if you decide to move to Liverpool:
- The vocabulary. Speaking and understanding Scouse is an art of its own. Don’t be intimidated by words like “go ‘ed” and “swerve” – you’ll learn to speak like a real Scouser in no time.
- The lack of a dress code. There is no such thing as being underdressed or overdressed in Liverpool. Basically, if you wear a tracksuit in a nightclub, you won’t get weird looks.
- People will ask you about your waste bin colour. And the reason behind this question is quite interesting – Liverpudlians check if you are a “real Scouser” or a wool. Basically, if you live in the city council boundaries, you will be the proud owner of purple bins, meaning that you are a true Scouser.
- Expect a drop in your mood. Due to the fact that the weather in Liverpool is on the gloomy side, depression levels in this UK area are higher.
- Living in Liverpool has its pros and cons. We suggest spending a few days there, so you can fully understand how you feel about the city before deciding to move.
- Do your research. If you are dead keen on relocating to Liverpool, you can check out our article about the best places to live there.
- Don’t underestimate the power of bad weather. If your mood gets easily affected by grey skies, Liverpool may not be the city for you.
If you liked our article, make sure to share it with your friends. And of course – don’t forget to leave a comment below!
Image source: depositphotos / chrisdorney
- Last update: September 19, 2019
Posted in Moving and Packing Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.