- Fantastic Team
- 5min read
- Published: March 6, 2020
- Views: 57
How to Clean a Kitchen
An afternoon dedicated to cleaning can be therapeutic sometimes. However, this does not usually apply to kitchens. There is so much that needs to be taken care of! Cupboards, oven, fridge and freezer, the floor, the windows, and a ton more.
Luckily for you, we have the know-how that will help you handle these tasks efficiently. By the time your cleaning playlist is over, your kitchen will look brand new!
So, if you:
- Need to deep clean the kitchen;
- Are looking for a comprehensive guide on how to do it,
Then read on! This post is for you.
- Wear protective rubber gloves when cleaning.
- Always follow the instructions on the label of any chemicals you use.
- Open the windows to keep the area well ventilated while you work.
- Work from top to bottom to avoid getting dirt on places you’ve already cleaned.
How to clean a kitchen
Cleaning a kitchen doesn’t have to be a tedious task. If you stick to a schedule or follow a checklist, you’ll find you can do it in no time! So, use this guide to make cleaning the kitchen a breeze.
And if you prefer a simple printable version of this guide, head over to our kitchen cleaning checklist!
Assemble your cleaning supplies
Stopping in the middle of cleaning the kitchen to look for a tool or detergent will only distract you from the task at hand. So, make sure you get everything ready before you begin.
- Broom or vacuum;
- Microfibre cloths;
- Detergents or homemade cleaners for different surfaces;
- Mop bucket;
- Cleaning gloves.
Declutter your kitchen
You’ll need to get rid of the clutter in order to properly clean the kitchen. So, put away your items before you begin cleaning.
- Throw away any rubbish and take out the bin bag.
- Rinse your rubbish bin, let it air dry and replace the bin bag.
- Put any kitchen items away in their rightful place.
- Remove any items that don’t belong in the kitchen. Don’t worry about organising them for now, simply take them out of the room.
Take care of the dishes
You’ll need to clean the sink later on, so make sure to wash any piled-up dishes. This is a very simple task to start with.
- Soak anything used in warm, soapy water.
- Wash the dishes by hand or run the dishwasher.
- Empty the dishwasher once the cycle is complete and put away the clean plates and cutlery.
Clean the walls and ceilings
Begin cleaning from top to bottom to make the task easier. Cleaning the kitchen walls is essential, as they see lots of grease and grime, especially around your cooking appliances.
- Dust corners and ceiling, light fittings and ceiling fan.
- Remove any cobwebs.
- Wash the walls, baseboards and doors.
- Clean the backsplash.
Dust decorative items
Don’t forget to take care of any decorations in the kitchen.
- Dust any picture frames and other decorative items.
- Carefully wash the picture frame glass with a damp cloth.
Clean the curtains and blinds
Your curtains and blinds can accumulate a lot of dirt and dust, especially if you haven’t cleaned them in a while. So, make sure they make it onto your kitchen cleaning to-do list.
- Take down and wash the curtains, following the proper cleaning method for the material.
- Clean any horizontal and vertical blinds.
Wash the windows
It’s easy to forget about the windows when cleaning the kitchen. However, that small detail can really make the room brighter and keep your kitchen looking fresh and tidy.
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Clean the window sills, corners and tracks.
Clean the fridge and freezer
Your fridge and freezer are key points in your kitchen. Keeping them in good shape is vital to keeping your food fresh and your family healthy.
- Take out all the food from the fridge and freezer. Keep the freezer items in a cooler while you work.
- Throw away any expired products.
- Clean the fridge, shelves and drawers.
- Dust the fridge coils.
- Clean the freezer.
- Put the food items back inside and reorganise them.
- Dust the top of the fridge and freezer.
- Wipe the exteriors.
Clean the oven and stove
Nobody enjoys cooking in a dirty oven. It can smoke up the kitchen pretty bad, not to mention the effect it may have on the taste and quality of your food. So, take care of your cooker when cleaning the kitchen.
- Take any racks and trays out of the oven.
- Thoroughly degrease and clean the interior of the oven.
- Clean the racks and trays separately.
- Wipe the oven exterior.
- Clean the stovetop, following the proper cleaning method for gas burners, ceramic hobs and stainless steel hobs.
Take care of the dishwasher
Yes, your dishwasher needs to be cleaned, too! It constantly comes in contact with food leftovers and if it’s not taken care of, it can become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Remove and clean the filter, then place it back.
- Clean out the food trap.
- Place a cup of white vinegar inside, then run a full clean cycle in order to thoroughly clean the inside.
- Once done, coat the bottom of the dishwasher with baking soda and leave it overnight.
- Run another clean cycle in the morning.
- Wipe the outside clean.
Clean the cooker hood
Your range hood is very susceptible to grease and grime build-ups. Make sure to add it to your kitchen cleaning schedule.
- Clean the hood, following the proper cleaning method for the type you have.
- Clean the filter.
- Wipe the extractor fan.
Wipe all small appliances
Don’t forget about the small appliances when cleaning the kitchen. They can get just as dirty as the large ones and need some care, as well.
- Unplug all appliances.
- Wipe the toaster and microwave, clean and descale kettle and coffee machine, etc.
- For stubborn microwave stains, put in a cup of water with a lemon wedge and bring it to the boil.
- Clean out the toaster crumb tray.
Clean and organise cabinets and drawers
Keeping your cabinets organised is helpful, as you won’t have to rummage through months of expired products to find that pack of cereal hiding in the back.
- Empty the cabinets and drawers.
- Throw away any expired products.
- Wipe the interiors and exteriors clean.
- Reorganise your items.
- Dust the top of the cabinets.
Wipe the countertops
The areas where you prepare food should regularly be kept clean and tidy. So, add your countertops to your to-do list when cleaning your kitchen.
- Keep in mind the proper cleaning method for your countertop material.
- Sweep any dust and crumbs to the floor to be swept up later.
- Wipe your countertops with a clean cloth and the right detergent or homemade solution.
Wash the sink and drain
Your kitchen sink can gather tons of bacteria, as it constantly comes in contact with food leftovers. Not only that, but the grease and grime can also clog your drain and cause unpleasant odours. So, make sure to clean your sink and drain, too.
Sweep and mop the floor
The final step when cleaning the kitchen is to take care of the floors. Get your vacuum and mop bucket ready!
- Sweep or vacuum the floor.
- Mop the floor, paying attention to the proper cleaning method for your flooring material.
Does all this sound like too much work?
If you don’t have the time or desire to clean your kitchen by yourself, why not let the professionals help? Fantastic Services can bring the shine back to your kitchen without you having to lift a finger! The reliable and experienced cleaners will follow your instructions and work hard to make sure your home is left spotless.
Booking is easy! Just use our simple online form and choose a time that suits your schedule.
Rely on Fantastic Services to deliver results you can be proud of!
Need a Cleaner?
Find a professional to take care of your kitchen.
- Wear protective gear when cleaning.
- Always follow the instructions on any chemicals you use.
- Start cleaning from top to bottom to make it easier.
- Don’t forget the small details – windows, curtains and blinds, small appliances, etc.
- Clean the floor last to avoid having to clean it twice.
Did you find this post useful? Is your kitchen now sparkling clean? Let us know in the comments below!
Image source: shutterstock / Agnieszka Marcinska
- Last update: September 28, 2020
Posted in Cleaning Guides
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.