- Fantastic Team
- 4min read
- Published: September 21, 2020
- Views: 67
Moving Out for the First Time: Everything You Need to Know
There might be various reasons to change your place of living. Whether they are job-related, or you simply want some freedom from your parents, you need to have a plan, especially if you are moving out for the first time. To help you out with this uneasy task, we have prepared some first-time moving tips for you.
So, if you:
- Are moving for the first time;
- Don’t know what to expect from moving;
- Don’t know where to start.
Then keep on reading!
The types of costs to expect when moving out
If you have decided to change your accommodation, then you probably have already thought of the basic expenses that you are going to face. The most common mistake that people make when considering to move out, is that they do not think about ALL of the expenses. Here is the full list of what you should include in your budget planning:
- Rent. Ask yourself “How much is the tenancy fee?”, “How much is the deposit?”, “Are there any other costs, like renewal fees?”, “Do I have to pay extra if I decide to get a pet?”
- Utilities and other related fees. Electricity, gas and water, TV licence fees, and other types of costs (e.g. telephone, Wi-Fi etc.)
- Council tax. Each UK citizen of 18 years of age and over, who owns or rents a property has to pay a Council tax. There are certain discounts for students and for those who live alone. Contact your local council – you need to make sure that you are not being overcharged.
- Groceries. A good idea will be to create a weekly meal plan. That way you will know how much you spend weekly on food.
- Medical expenses. You need to have money saved in case of unexpected appointments and prescriptions.
- Transportation costs. Are there any transportation costs involved?
- Appliance and furnishing expenses. Does the new place have everything for your comfortable living? Do you need to buy new furniture or appliances?
- Additional maintenance expenses. Does the new property need renovation? Does it have all the necessary furniture?
Make the necessary arrangements before you move out
Nothing can be as exciting as paperwork, however, it needs to be done to make your life easier after moving. Here are some things that you need to do when you move out for the first time:
Inspect and document the property before moving in
Are there any issues that should be discussed with the landlord? Does the property need additional care or cleaning? Have you checked the meter readings? Will it be beneficial to have a property inventory report?
Did you know that property inventory services are beneficial not only for landlords? Learn more on our website.Find out more
Check your gas and electricity providers
Are you happy with your gas and electricity providers? If your landlord doesn’t pay the energy supplier directly or does not incorporate utility costs within the accommodation charges, you have the right to choose your energy provider yourself. Have you transferred the water, gas and electricity services to your name? Contact your local provider to update the information.
Council tax information update
You need to provide your local council with the following information: Your previous address, your move-out date and your new address.
It is important to change your address with some organisations, like:
- Your employer;
- Inland Revenue;
- DVLA: driving licence;
- Insurance companies;
- Newspaper/magazine subscriptions;
- Health club or Gym
Internet and TV set up
You don’t want to move in and be stuck without internet access, especially, if you work from home. Find the best internet and TV provider and book for router installation.
What you need to buy for your new place
When you move out for the first time, there are numerous things that you need to think of. One of those is a list of all the necessary things that you might need in your new place, like tools, cleaning supplies, etc. Depending on how furnished your new accommodation is, you might need to buy some furnishing, as well. We have prepared a list of what you might need to include in your shopping list. For your convenience, we sorted the items by categories:
- Sponges and/or brushes
- All-purpose surface cleaner
- For DIY cleaning: baking soda, lemon, vinegar, etc.
- Dishwashing liquid or/and dishwasher capsules
- Paper towels and/or microfibre cloths
- A bucker or a box to hold your supplies
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mop and bucket
- Floor cleaning solution
- Kitchen bin
- Dish set – mugs, bowls and plates, cutlery, glasses, pots and pans of different sizes
- Utensils – cutting board, knives of different sizes, spatula, wooden spoon, serving spoon, whisk, kitchen scissors, can opener, bottle opener, mixing bowls, measuring cup or spoons
- Appliances – microwave, coffee machine, kettle, toaster
- Tea towels, drying rack
- Oven mitts
- Foil, cling film and baking paper
- Baking forms and food storage containers
- Toilet brush
- Cleaning solutions
In the bathroom:
- Toilet paper
- Shower curtain
- Bath towels and bathrobe
- Bath mat
- Toiletries storage
- Laundry bin
- Mattress and/or mattress topper
- Clothes hangers
- Coffee table
- TV cabinet
- Coat hanger
- Shoe cupboard or storage bench
- Peg shelf
- Bandages and band-aids
- Anti-inflammatory medicine
- Cold medicine
- Tape measure
Plan your packing when you move out for the first time
When you have figured out your moving plan and organised everything, it is time to pack. First-time moving can be exciting but also very stressful, especially when it comes to packing. These tips can help you organise the packing process and save you from the anxiety that comes with the first time moving:
- Create a list of what you are planning to move;
- Get rid of unnecessary items;
- Buy all the supplies you are going to need before you start packing: tape, boxes, fillings, markers, labels;
- Label things, so it will be easier for you to identify where you should place the boxes;
- Prepare the essentials in a separate bag;
- Check all the electronics and cables. Have you packed everything?
- Prepare your pet’s utensils (if you have one).
Not sure if you can handle your first-time moving?
As professionals, we know how much work moving can involve, especially if you are about to experience it for the first time. With many years of experience in the removals field, we have designed our Home Removals Services in response to the needs of our customers. The teams are professionally equipped with vans, which allow them to safely relocate your belongings. Do you need help with packing? We can do that too! Book your removals services with Fantastic Services, today.
Struggling with moving everything by yourself?
Schedule your removals video survey if you need help.
- First time moving out requires preparation in advance, do not leave things for the last moment.
- Make sure you have thought all your expenses out. Unexpected costs might become a major headache.
- Do all the paperwork and arrangements before you move in.
Hope this checklist was useful for you. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts and moving experiences in the comments section below.
Image source: Depositphotos / ilona75
- Last update: October 27, 2020
Posted in Moving and Packing Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within the UK. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.